ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   2002 Polaris 500 no power at mid-range (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/352235-2002-polaris-500-no-power-mid-range.html)

2 Guns 07-29-2013 07:49 PM

2002 Polaris 500 no power at mid-range

I have a 2002 Polaris 500 HO Sportsman with less than 2000 miles on it and at idle and low speed it runs fine but in the mid-range or under a load it sounds like it is hitting the rev limiter and comes to a stop. Under wide open throttle it runs good and runs 60 mph with no problem. I thought fuel problem but runs great wide open forever. Any ideas?

old polaris tech 07-29-2013 08:25 PM

The limiter is built into the speedometer on this model,but I wouldn't over look the clutches and belt for anything there that could be causing the problem if you've eliminated any trash/dirt or even a little water in the fuel. I've had some like this where they would idle ok,stumble in mid range,but once past that they were able to by pass any water collected in the carb bowl and run fine. Had water craft that would do the same thing when water was present in the fuel.

2 Guns 07-29-2013 08:37 PM

Thanks, I will try what you suggested and get back on here with what I found.

littlenev 07-30-2013 11:29 AM

The jetting is probably off or they are plugged, try cleaning the carbs.

2 Guns 07-30-2013 12:14 PM

Thanks, I am in the process of checking the carb now and I will jump back on here and let you know what I found.

2 Guns 08-06-2013 05:13 PM

Ok, I checked the carb and it had clean fuel and no dirt..It just seem to start this when I was in a mud hole and shifted into reverse and hit the rev limiter. I had to wench myself. It starts powering down at about 15mph. At low speeds and on the road it runs fine. Any other ideas I can check before it hits the dealer?

old polaris tech 08-07-2013 02:38 AM

Try cleaning your electrical connections and use electrical grease if all this started after being stuck in a mud hole.Plus not a bad idea on pulling the recoil and checking for muddy water in the stator area also.

TLC 08-07-2013 09:14 AM

Take the recoil cover off and clean it out for sure.
My pluse coil took a dirty swim and made the ATV act up. Now I silicone the pull rope handle over the rope hole so water can not enter the recoil housing.
There is a lot of expensive parts down that rope hole that like to stay dry and clean.

2 Guns 08-07-2013 01:55 PM

I want to thank all for the input from this forum. I have checked the belt and clutch and it looks brand new. No hot spots, groves, dust from the belt, and the belt looks good. I checked the recoil and that area and it is dry and appears not to have any damage. Is a electrical problem a possibility. I ask because I put handle bar mirrors on just before I started acting up. I have checked for a pinched wires and all looks good. Help!!

old polaris tech 08-07-2013 04:11 PM

Between the mirrors and the mud hole you mentioned it could be an electrical problem,but the only way to tell is retrace your steps on checking wiring,plus where a lot of problems happen on wiring is under the head light pod that gets stretched and rubs and the left control switch connectors and wiring that route under the pod also.. May be coincidental if it's a wiring problem,may not have anything to do with the mirrors or mud hole?