Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Mag. 500 Carburetor drain screw, throttle

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-1999, 09:58 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally got to ride my new Mag. 500, it's everything I hoped it would be, of course that's only about 25 miles worth of riding. Anyway, I experience the engine dying occassionally when I would come to a stop, I knew it wasn't the idle, because if my finger just touched the throttle, it idled fine, but if I removed my thumb from it, it would die, and this only happened a few times, then it would idle fine. I wonder if the ETC was acting up? Any idea's? Also, I tried like heck to loosen the carb. drain screw, it wouldn't budge, any ideas?

------------------

Old 08-17-1999, 11:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

It actally is the idle setting. See when you push the throttle lever and take out the slack a little peice of metal contacts this switch that advances the timing how I understand it giving the quad more power. If your ETC was acting up your quad would have little power and when you let off it would act VERY slugish. All you need to do is reach up (when the engine and pipe are cool) and turn the idle screw in, on most 4-strokes because of the lack of a expantsion chamber you are usally able to use a screw driver and do it while run which works the best. I usally once fully broke-in idle settings on a 4-stroke will last a few years were a 2-stroke will need reset often with drastic weather changes..

Deric

Old 08-18-1999, 08:19 PM
Trailblazer

This same thing just happened to me. It is not the idle screw. It is surely the ETC adjustment. Here's how to fix it...

Above the throttle on the HB's, take the cover off the ETC box. Some just pop off and others screw off. You can now see the two contacts causing the problem. When the throttle is let off of completely, the two contacts touch causing the engine to die. (The reason for this is if the throttle cable is frozen, you can let off the throttle and the engine will die, a great safety feature.) To adjust it, follow the throttle cable from the ETC box and look for the lump in the cable. Then slide the rubber boot off of the adjustment assembly, loosen the locking nut and adjust to take the extra slack out of the cable. You should be able to figure it out from here. Good luck and post results. Happy trails...

WillieB-99 Scrambler 500

Old 08-23-1999, 07:48 PM
Range Rover

you can just unplug the etc to see if this is your problem. i removed mine when i installed a twist grip on my 400exp.

Old 08-23-1999, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

I THINK BEST BET IS TAKE BACK TO DEALER LET THEM FIGURE OUT PROBLEM,MOTORMAN HOW DO U LIKE TWIST TROTTLE?dOES IT GIVE YOU PROBLEMS IN AGGRESSIVE RIDING?

Old 08-25-1999, 01:59 PM
Pro Rider

Another thing to try is the throttle cable adjustment itself. It's located in the cable about 4" from the throttle. Pull back the rubber covers and you can see the adjuster. I didn't even realize that it was there. I was experiencing the same thing a while ago on the '99 SP500. I would adjust the idle on the carb and it was ok. The next day it was too low and needed adjusting again. The throttle cable was just adjusted a little low. It's been fine now since the cable adjustment.

http://www.godigital-design.com/schultzmotorsports

Old 08-25-1999, 06:44 PM
Trailblazer

Hey Mr. Jack, that's the same thing I was trying to say in my post above. We are talking about the same adjustment. Same thing happened to me. I ain't payin' NOBODY $40+ an hour to do anything if I can help it!

WillieB - '99 Scrambler 500

[This message has been edited by Willie B (edited 08-25-1999).]