Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Sportsman Brake service.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 02:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Sportsman Brake service.

What needs to be done annually? Do I have any slider pins that need to be cleaned and lubed?

Anything similar to the rear discs on my 04 GMC?\\Something like this??

How tight does that plug need to be?

Old 09-14-2013, 06:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Take the 3/16" plug out,you can use a big screwdriver in between the pads to push the piston back and pry the end of the outer pad off the slide end where the plug was removed.That's one of the reasons for the plug to allow the slide to move back a little further on that end.Then just pry off the other end and remove the inner pad the same way.Then you can just pull the slide out and grease it. One rubber sleeve will stay on the caliper,one will come of with the slide. Once you get the pads replaced and calipers mounted,pump up the brakes until the master cylinder builds up. Install the plug on one side,spin the rotor slowly as you tighten the plug. When you feel a slight resistance,back off the plug 1/8 turn.This sets the inner pad against the rotor and helps align the caliper. Do the same for the other side and you're done.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:12 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Take the 3/16" plug out,you can use a big screwdriver in between the pads to push the piston back and pry the end of the outer pad off the slide end where the plug was removed.That's one of the reasons for the plug to allow the slide to move back a little further on that end.Then just pry off the other end and remove the inner pad the same way.Then you can just pull the slide out and grease it. One rubber sleeve will stay on the caliper,one will come of with the slide. Once you get the pads replaced and calipers mounted,pump up the brakes until the master cylinder builds up. Install the plug on one side,spin the rotor slowly as you tighten the plug. When you feel a slight resistance,back off the plug 1/8 turn.This sets the inner pad against the rotor and helps align the caliper. Do the same for the other side and you're done.

Thanks OPT. Do I need to lock tite the plug in??

Old 09-14-2013, 06:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I never did,but you can if you wish,but later on as the pads wear you may want to readjust/tighten the plug some more.

Old 09-14-2013, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I never did,but you can if you wish,but later on as the pads wear you may want to readjust/tighten the plug some more.
Thanks again OPT. Not necessary, then I wont do it.