Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

anyone??

Old 10-27-2013, 01:52 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone??

can anyone help me
I want to use a lighted toggle for the reverse over ride mod(04 sp400)
Can anyone tell me how to wire it up.I know how to do it using a simple 2 pin toggle,but would like to mod the mod by using a lighted toggle.Do the toggle need its own 12v supply(using the third pin) and use a common ground.This seems right to me,but dont want to fry anything before I hook it up!!!!!

Old 10-27-2013, 06:15 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You've got 3 wires coming from the over ride. Simple toggle would work,but as far as a lighted toggle? Never had anyone attempt this at the shop,plus seems like you'd need a red/white wire that's hot with the key on,but I'd talk to a good electrician on this as you could do some damage as the limiter is built into the speedo.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

Thats my thoughts also OPT,but all the reseach I have done on youtube and google leads me to believe that illuminated toggles need a seperate power supple to actually light the light so to speak.Hope you dont think I am being to obsessive over this because I realize its a simple mod with just the regular toggle,but IMHO I think it would be an improvement on it if the switch we lighted.
Hoping others on here wont think they are hijacking the thread if they chime in,any and all help will be appreciated,besides I think others might also think its an improvement.Lots of smart ppl on here,there has to be someone who can Macgyver this up!!!

Old 10-28-2013, 06:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Illuminated toggle switches only need an additional ground { neg. } wire , they use the wire being switched { pos. } for the light power .

Old 10-28-2013, 08:32 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Yooper265
Illuminated toggle switches only need an additional ground { neg. } wire , they use the wire being switched { pos. } for the light power .
but on an illuminated switch there are 3 lugs,pos,neg,and acc.The most basic way to do the mod is neg on switch to polaris brown,pos on switch to polaris grey/orange on pod harness,would this make the switch illuminate,would it be a common ground,or would I ground both the neg lug and the acc lug on switch.

A light just went on in my head,I think I was over complicating it,from what I understand now by re-reading how the basic mod is done,the switch is used to jump the ground only(thus eliminating the yellow polaris button),so I dont think it can be done using a lighted toggle because you would only be switching the ground.This sound right to anyone?
Starting to think I am developing OCD over this topic,but it kinda bugs me when I cant find answers.
So if what I am saying about just switching the ground,in order to have a warning light lets say,I would need a seperate 12v light next to switch with its own 12v source and use the ground from the simple toggle.Now thats something to ponder.If nothing guys I am giving you something to ponder.

Old 10-28-2013, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

Providing the switch uses a incandescent lamp inside you you can use any hot { + } wire to the the third switch terminal { instead of the negative/ ground } , if the internal lamp is a led then you would have a polarity issue and it wouldn't work .

Old 10-28-2013, 09:58 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by Yooper265
Providing the switch uses a incandescent lamp inside you you can use any hot { + } wire to the the third switch terminal { instead of the negative/ ground } , if the internal lamp is a led then you would have a polarity issue and it wouldn't work .
...not sure I get what you are saying(i do understand the polarity issue with led's)

Old 10-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider

One side of the internal indicating lamp is connected internally to the " load " side of the switch , the other internal indicating lamp wire { third post on switch } needs to go to the opposite polarity used in the switch ie , if the switch is switching the ground / negative wire the third post on the switch needs to go to positive { + } to power the ind light . This will work assuming it's a incandescent lamp inside the switch and not a led .

Old 10-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Range Rover

think I got it,and ofcourse this is assuming the original mod with a simple switch is only breaking/jumping the ground and there is no (+) involved.And therefor the lighted switch needs it own (+). Do you know if this is the case?

Old 10-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider

Yes