Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Xpedition 425 AWD issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 04:49 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Is the battery good,been load tested? If it is,then could be a grounding issue or even a short in either the ignition switch or left control switch wiring. If you check from the battery up and every things good,power is going through the new circuit breaker,but not to the switches lights,awd,etc first thing I'd do is look under the front panel for problems in the main harness wiring,switches for any shorts.This is the area where a lot of shorts happen because of the stress on the wiring from twisting and turning. Again just start at the battery and work forward.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:00 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I worked my way around the wire harness and discovered the headlight/electric start switch was not working correctly. I changed it out with the one from my Xplorer until the new switch arrived. Bad news with the new switch :-( the kill switch does not move upward, only side to side. I did not realize this until I hooked everything up and the wheeler would not stop cranking. Now it will not turn over with the new switch or the switch from the Xplorer. Could it have burned up my starter or solenoid?

Old 08-22-2014, 04:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Wait for the correct switch to come in.You can jump 12 volts directly to the starter to see if it works ok. The combo kill/start switch was a nuisance and only in production a few years ,but with your harness you need to have this style switch. Starters are cheap if it's burnt out.Not worth even rebuiding one. DB Electrical - Starter POLARIS ATV 325 335 425 500 Sportsman Scrambler Magnum

Old 08-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Trailblazer

I just put the jumper wire to the starter, it tries to crank but wont. Will this DB electrical starter also work for the xpedition? They are all the same I assume.

Old 08-23-2014, 03:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The starter is the same for all the 4 stoke engines other than the Predator and 600-800 engines. Sounds like you just need a new left hand control switch and go from there.Check that the wiring and connectors going into the switch are ok.Control switches can short out and I've had to replace plenty of these. Tear one apart and springs and tiny parts will fly everywhere. Just too many little parts on the combo kill/start switch controls to try to repair if they short out.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:12 AM
Trailblazer

I pulled the starter out today and bench tested it, and it spun fine. When I put it back in the wheeler and put direct power to it, it did not crank. Just trying every possibility along the way.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by doggster
I pulled the starter out today and bench tested it, and it spun fine. When I put it back in the wheeler and put direct power to it, it did not crank. Just trying every possibility along the way.
Then starter brushes may be worn,the armature itself may be worn also or dirty,plus don't over look a worn starter gear shaft. Cheap enough to replace both and eliminate the starter system as a problem. DB Electrical - Polaris ATV Starter Drive COMBO 325 335 425 500 GOLD 2 Year Plus they have the "standard" starter combo set for 58 bucks.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:46 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Working on same problem...

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
I under stand what your saying,but the simple fact is that the brown/white is the ground only and should not have power! Problem could be a switch if it's throwing voltage to these wires and you can't find any other wiring problem that could be causing this.
New to the boards, hello everyone. I know nobody likes hijacking an old thread, but there's some misinformation here...

We've been working on resurrecting a 2000 Xpedition that was sitting in a barn with a broken axle for 4-5 years, and we've got most things working and now (we've been through a lot!) we're into this AWD and Speedo problem.

Old Polaris Tech - you've helped me more than I could thank you for already, much appreciated. However, I believe there's a fundamental mistake here... the Xpedition is wired differently than the Sportsman in the video and as mentioned in your quote above. On the Xpedition, the BRN/W wire becomes hot when the AWD is in the ON position, and the GRY wire is the ground. That changes everything when troubleshooting this issue. That's why this guy's splice got hot! So with the Xpedition, the solution is to connect the GRY wires to the BRN (or another ground). Here's the Xpedition wiring diagram:
http://cdn.polarisindustries.com/pol...9914929r03.pdf

This is opposite of the Sportsman 500 (and presumably others). On the Sportsman the GRY is hot and the BRN/W is ground.
http://cdn.polarisindustries.com/pol...9915476r02.pdf

Hopefully this helps somebody else!!! Worked for me.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:28 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Yes the Expedition is different as there is no brown/white wire leading to the speedo as in the other models that is the main ground wire for the hub coils. If fact completely reverse on the Expedition as the red/white in the awd switch powers up the brown/white instead of the the gray wire. Strange that they did do this. Glad we only sold about about 3 of these blamed things..