Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1990 Polaris Trail Boss

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 09:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your continual help OPT.

When I got home from work today I pulled the carb and checked everything over again. Still don't see any issues and everything appears to be clean. I checked that fuel was flowing from the fuel hose when the petcock and had a steady flow. I reattached the fuel hose to the carb and opened the drain at the bottom of the carb...after opening the petcock I confirmed I have fuel flowing through the main jet from the fuel tank.

I read somewhere that there should be about 1/8'' of slack in the choke cable...I had less than that so I made the adjustment. I tried to start several times and got nothing.

I pulled the plug, added fuel to the cylinder, pulled the choke and the quad fired on the first pull. I let it run for a good 3-4 minutes and took the choke off...it sputtered and died. I could not get it started again unless I added fuel through the spark plug hole, and it would die with the choke off. I pulled the plug after the quad had ran for a bit and noted that the tip was a golden brown color (makes me think fuel ratio and timing are close).

After confirming fuel is flowing through the main jet, good compression, confirming spark, and thinking the timing is at least close since it ran for a while...I'm not sure what to check next.

Any ideas of what I can look at?

Old 09-10-2014, 03:09 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

You have a pilot jet in the carb too that allows it to idle,not just the main jet. If you have to keep the choke on for it to keep running,still sounds like you have something stopped up in the carb.Yes 1/8" slack only is what you want at the thumb throttle also. Take the pilot jet out and either use a fine wire or compressed air to make sure you can see daylight through it.If it's stopped up it won't idle. Plus may be something as simple as the idle adjuster that may need to be turned up a tad.Air screw should be between 1-1 1/2 turns out. Plus look at these two videos on carb cleaning.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

OPT -

Sorry to bring this thread back from the dead on you, but I still have not had any luck getting this engine running right. I've only worked on it occasionally over the last few months, mainly because I'm frustrated it won't run right.

I've noticed that if I give a small spray of starting fluid with the throttle open and the choke on, the engine starts first pull and idles fine with the choke on. The second I take the choke off the idle immediately jumps up, and continues to climb to uncomfortable level, so I turn the choke back on to level the idle out.

Sounds like with the engine not wanting to start or idle properly I still have a problem with the carb. I've soaked and cleaned the carb close to 5 times now and can't seem to figure out what the issue may be. Is there anything I could be missing? Or maybe it's time I take it in to a mechanic?

Old 01-09-2015, 10:38 AM
Weekend Warrior

I had exactly same problem. Cleaned carburetor 7 times, with choke on it runs OK, as soon as I took choke off, it started revving immediately. The problem mine had was cracked crank seal, so it was sucking air through that. So for your's, I would look for spots where air can leak in (crank seals on both sides, carburetor connector adapter, etc.)

Old 01-09-2015, 10:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by moisvm
I had exactly same problem. Cleaned carburetor 7 times, with choke on it runs OK, as soon as I took choke off, it started revving immediately. The problem mine had was cracked crank seal, so it was sucking air through that. So for your's, I would look for spots where air can leak in (crank seals on both sides, carburetor connector adapter, etc.)

Old 01-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the replies guys. I went ahead and swapped out the crank seals again. I did find a tiny tear in one of the seals, but hard to say if that happened before or after removal.

I got the new seals installed, and now the engine wont start at all. Every 10-15 pulls, it backfires out the carb/air box. I tried a little starting fluid and got no response.

Any ideas to try next? I really appreciate all your help so far! I feel like I'm close to having it running right.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:04 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Pull the connections from the cdi.Check resistance on the black/red to brown/white wires coming from the stator to the cdi and see what you have.

Old 01-10-2015, 03:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have about 7.5 ohms. Does this sounds right?

Old 01-10-2015, 04:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Supposed to be 120 ohms resistance.Recheck your meter settings are on ohms. If 7.5 ohms is the true reading then the stator is weak.

Old 01-10-2015, 04:58 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

This shows to be the exciter coil. Pull the flywheel, check for any internal damage on the flywheel and stator. If the flywheel and rest of the stator are ok, replacing this may solve your problem.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ricks-Exciter-Coil-22-502-Polaris-Xplorer-Trail-Boss-Big-Boss-/161528140201?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item259bd3d1a9&vxp=mtr

Quick Reply: 1990 Polaris Trail Boss