Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2001 scrambler 500 front left.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 01:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 scrambler 500 front left.

I have been lurking for a while trying to figure out this problem. It all started after my brother ripped the cv boot. It was rode a couple times after before noticing and replaced. The problem I am currently having is issues with the awd along with the front left hanging up. I have been in the hub a couple times replaced the armature plate, have 12 volts at the plug, plate sticks to the coil etc. Was working on it tonight without the caliper on would turn free get hung up occasionally put caliper on hangs up every couple revolutions if I spin rear wheels in reverse then forward again the wheel will start spinning. I did notice a decent amount of play in cv shaft when pulling on it along with a clunk/click so that has to be replaced. I am mechanically inclined but not a mechanic, will a bad cv joint cause the wheel to hang up or affect the 4x4 system on this quad?

Old 05-31-2014, 04:07 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If slack is excessive in the cv joints erratic engagement can happen,but what a lot of people over look is the face of the hub strut sleeve and the milled portion of the strut itself that the coil slides on. If either or both or worn,rough feeling,the plate may not engage correctly at all times.The armature plate may not be able to rotate smoothy as the wheel turns.With a straight edge both the sleeve face and strut casting must be flush with each other measured at several places around the sleeve or no more than .001 clearance.The sleeve is a wear item same as the armature plate. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 05-31-2014, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok, the outer pole would be the coil sleeve then the milled section (graphite) in color. Then the inner pole what the out most 1" bearing rides on? Straight edge across outer pole. Also with all 4 wheels off the ground along with awd switch OFF should all 4 wheels be spinning?

Old 05-31-2014, 11:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Forgot to mention, when pulling on cv about 1" of play maybe a little more.

Old 05-31-2014, 11:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike-318
Ok, the outer pole would be the coil sleeve then the milled section (graphite) in color. Then the inner pole what the out most 1" bearing rides on? Straight edge across outer pole. Also with all 4 wheels off the ground along with awd switch OFF should all 4 wheels be spinning?
Outer pole is the sleeve face,inner pole is the thin exposed casting around the hub coil. Just place a straight edge over the sleeve and the inner casting should be flush with the bottom of the straight edge or no more than .001 clearance with a feeler gauge. All 4 tires should not be spinning when the awd selector is off. If one front wheel is engaged even with new armature plates and the bearings are ok,the roll cage is in good shape along with correct hub nut torque (12 foot pounds max) then you could still have a problem internally. If there is excessive back and forth play on the drive shaft because of worn cv joints,then it's possible the delay on the shaft initial turning could lock one side in.If you know the drive shaft/cv joint needs replacing I'd get that out of the way first. If you don't have a manual, chapter 10 of this one goes into detail on the awd. It's a Sportsman 500,but the awd is the same. http://gh-ftp.com/ORV%20Manuals/Pola...0%20-%20SM.pdf