Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin Engine Problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 07:33 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Polaris Sportsman 700 Twin Engine Problem

Just started to have problems with it running correctly. Runs just find when I first start it and drive it. After about 5 minutes of driving it starts to spit and stutter, and back fire and I cant get it go over 10 mph. If I stop and leave it cool down for a hour, I can start it up, same thing again, runs fine first 5 minutes and then same problem again.

Have checked following:

1. Gas is brand new and level is fine.
2. Spark plug wires good, and boot fitted on spark plug fine.
3. Carb from outside appears fine, no leaks, all hoses connected tight.

Not sure if its a carb issue, or something to do with it heating up and then something (part) goes bad? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!!!!

Old 07-06-2014, 09:05 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Look in this forum or just Google "Sportsman 700 ignition problems" Plenty of complaints on this over the years.The old Ducati systems would fail. A replacement kokusan ignition kit #2202602 is available at many online sources and solves this problem. Some would have different problems. Would run good,then run crappy . Let it cool then would run good for a while. Some were hard to start,backfire,etc. On others the owners just killed them and they wouldn't restart. 2002 to early 2004 carb models were affected on this. Wasn't a recall,but should have been. Kits are between 450-500 dollars but do include the flywheel,stator,cdi,new reg/rectifier, and jumper wires needed. Here's the pdf detailed instructions on the kit along with the parts included.http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...70138588,d.aWw
There are also several videos on this now that may help like this one. You don't have to tear all the plastic off as this guy did though. Just makes it a little easier if you do.
Plus here's another video that shows a little more on what's involved.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for responding Old Polaris Tech. Your very helpful!!!!

I was afraid it was going to be a ignition problem. I'd seen from other posts that the ignition kit seems to always be the fix for $500. I'm sure this will fix it, but before spending $500 is their anyway to test for the problem when the Sportsman 700 is not running correctly? I would hate to spend $500 and time involved in installing the new ignition system to only find I had same problem. If I brought to Polaris dealership, would they tell me to also just replace and upgrade to new ignition kit?

Old 07-06-2014, 02:53 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by byronman
Thank you for responding Old Polaris Tech. Your very helpful!!!!

I was afraid it was going to be a ignition problem. I'd seen from other posts that the ignition kit seems to always be the fix for $500. I'm sure this will fix it, but before spending $500 is their anyway to test for the problem when the Sportsman 700 is not running correctly? I would hate to spend $500 and time involved in installing the new ignition system to only find I had same problem. If I brought to Polaris dealership, would they tell me to also just replace and upgrade to new ignition kit?
Don't know about some dealers,but if you brought it to me I'd tell you that for the simple reason because of all the ignition kits I had to replace before I retired. And we sold quite a few 700s so I had my hands full among other things.Plus the major reasoning on this is that if the Ducati combo cdi/coil pack went out,they're still available,but then when the stator goes south,it updates to the kit anyway! I found this out the hard way.. Not worth even checking out an electrical problem as long as you still have the Ducati electrical system.Since it's an intermittent problem,that comes on when warm,then does ok when cold for a while,this sounds like another symptom of the electrical system breaking down. One other thing the 700 was bad about was cracked carb intake manifolds,but it usually would have a constant lean bog.Replaced a bunch of those also along with the ignition kits and all the updated water pump cover kits on the 2002 models..