Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2003 Sportsman not your average 4wd issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 07:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Sportsman not your average 4wd issue

Hello all I have been doing a lot of reading on all your posts about sportsman 4wd issues I'm stuck on mine and reaching out. I have my local shop do most all work and service on my machine but after 3 left front hub seal replacements in 200 miles I am done with them which brings me to my current issue.

After the last seal replacement I went riding and noticed the AWD light on the switch was out and not engaging AWD. I have done much reading about the speedo issues and thought that was the case but after a new speedo the problem persists. Searching deeper into the forum info I began looking into the hub connectors as I believe this is a electrical issue since the AWD light is not active.

On the left front hub I find the wire running to the hub all taped up. Upon inspection i find the wires are soldered together as if they were cut. Not being an electrical expert or even beginner I place the ground end of a multimeter on the brown wire and the red on the gray and get nothing. When I place the ground on the metal hub I get 13ish volts with the quad running in gear and awd on.

My questions for you experts are as follows:

Am I correct in assuming this is a ground issue?

How would I correct this if so?

Would this cause both hubs to not engage AND the AWD light to not function?

Thank you all in advance for your help you have already helped me a ton from your past threads

Old 08-12-2014, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like you're having the same AWD issue so many have had. Here's a link
. I made mine a bit more permanent and weather tight than a wire nut using solder and heat shrink tubing(but to each their own). It essentially boils down to cutting the brown/white wires going down the the hub coils and splicing all 4 of them together and attach a single piece of wire that you can ground to the frame somewhere. Some(like the guy in the video) ground to the ignition coil ground bolt, I did mine with a nut/bolt into a preexisting hole in the frame under the front cover. Just make sure that it's a good clean ground wherever you ground it.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you JMuddin. Was you AWD light not coming on as well and then did after the fix?

Old 08-13-2014, 03:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The awd light should come on if the grounding solves the problem.If grounding the brown/white hub wires shown in the video doesn't solve the problem,the hub coil could have a direct short to ground from what the previous owner has done and may need to be replaced. The seal sleeve that the hub seal rides on would have to be removed and replaced along with the coil. Items #13,15.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Honda, Arctic Cat & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 08-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

On one machine it fixed it just like that but, on my wife's bike I had to do as OPT said and replace the coil and seal sleeve on one side to make all 4 wheels spin instead of 3.