Old 09-08-1999, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KEEP EM COMING GUYS,THESE TESTIMONIALS ARE GOING TO HELP----THANKS BILL

Old 09-08-1999, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill,
I have a question. I understand your predicament, and agree that you have a problem that the manufacturer needs to take care of. But what exactly are you after? A new ATV, your money back, or total replacement of faulty parts? After all these positive replys on the performance of the SP500, you still don't want an SP500? Like I've said, your engine problems seem unique, but I've taken a more relaxed approach to the brakes, I guess. Maybe I should be pissed, but for all the hell I put it thru, I'll live with bad brakes for now. I'll let you know how the EBC metallic pads hold up. Maybe the Polaris pads are the problem, not the calipers.

Old 09-08-1999, 08:52 PM
Trailblazer

Bill, I purchase my 99 SP500 in mid June for 6100 out the door. The only problem I have had with it is the PVT cover welting and rubbing afainst the primary clutch. But I suspect that to be that my little brother stepped on it since he always used to put his feet there(he doesn't get on it N E more). Luckily the warranty covered the cover and after 1.5 months of waiting, I got it installed. There was a problem at the dealer though. They didn't install a small bracket that bolts onto the footrest. The day I rode after the repair the entire footrest and fenders popped out on the PVT side. I used a piece of wood and have been waiting a month now for the bracket to get to the dealer. I changed the oil at 23 hours/ 106 miles. Th bike doesn't have 250 miles on it yet but I ride it very aggresively. All the quads I ride with are sport quads, and I strive to keep up with them. I go up and down the same steep hills (call me crazy) and blast through some very nasty terrian ( I frequently bottom out my front susp.), and pull them out and also grab a jet-ski to throw in the river occassionaly. This beast takes all the abuse I give it and it never grunts sputters, or complains about any chore. The belt has only slipped once, when dry, when I was trying to maneuver over a 4ft. WALL. However, placing the quad in lo-range solved the problem. I also lube all the grease fittings every month or two. But to tell you the truth, I couldn't be haapier with my purchase.

Old 09-08-1999, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

XGZX,you bet im after another Sportsman.Put simply,It offers everything from a 4x4 quad that I personally want.A plush ride,nice suspension,automatic, with gobs of power,nice bright lights for night riding,excellant for snow plowing,and an AWD drive system that is second to none.I personally checked out the Sportsman before buying it.Not anybody was having serious problems,being everything in a 4x4 that I wanted,I bought it.You know the rest of the [Lemon] story.If personal friends of mine that ride the Sportsman were having numerous problems,I'd not want another one.But since I seem to be the only one having serious problems with their Sportsman,[128 days in the shop]than we have to assume I've got a Lemon.Legally,im after another completely Brand New Sportsman.Unfortunately im not at liberty to explain the legal aspect of my actions at this time,but I will keep you posted of the outcome.

Old 09-08-1999, 10:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I've got a 99 Sportsman with 1300 miles on it. Had to replace the front & rear pads once other than that no problems at all. I grease it once a month.I changed the oil at 250 miles and now every 500 miles. I love it!

Bill, it sure looks like your not getting what you need from this post. I'm sure Polaris would love to see all these good comments they are recieving.

polaris rules!

Old 09-08-1999, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

Polaris Rules,What in the world do you mean im not getting what I need from these posts?These good and honest postings are EXACTLY what I need.You see anybody else in here having NUMEROUS Sportsman problems?NO.Now do you understand how I come up with the word LEMON?These post help me to show that I do indeed have an Isolated problem and that the proper people need to pay attention to my complaints.Just keep up the good and honest work. BILL

Old 09-08-1999, 11:37 PM
Trailblazer

128 days?! What the hell is wrong with your dealer? There's no way it should take that long to get the parts and fix the damn thing. I feel compelled to call up myself and complain on your behalf!!

Old 09-08-1999, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Thats what I said a while back. I wonder if the guys in the service dept at Bills dealership might be named Moe, Larry and Curly.

------------------
Kevin Gowdy aka Kagey 1999 Polaris Magnum 500

Old 09-09-1999, 08:46 AM
Pro Rider

XGZX,I should of taken more time last night to tell you guys that the 128 days in the shop were NOT all spent at the same time.Those 128 days in the repair shop at the dealership are total days added,if one was to add all the times the quad was taken in for repairs.[about 12 times]The worst was about 2 months,when the quad had clutch problems,and a ticking in the motor.[clutches,cam chain and tensioner were bad]BUT,hey guys,thats still to many days for any brand new quad.LATER TO ALL,and, GOOD DAY---BILL

Old 09-09-1999, 01:27 PM
Range Rover

Bill:

Good luck with your case---I guess what kills me is why Polaris wouldn't just invite you to bring your ATV to their headquarters building for an "official" inspection...Hell, they could throw it on the back of a truck and have it there in 2 days. I'd just love to see an HONEST evaluation of your ATV by a certified Polaris mechanic--and that's it. There should be NO GUESSWORK here or NAME CALLING, etc. Your ATV should be inspected by a qualified person. Period. That's it. Defects will show themselves.

Now, I bought mine in September 1988 new. Also paid $6100. I have around 1,300 miles on it AND IT RUNS LIKE A CHARM. I've replaced the brakes all around at 900 miles or so. I've also had it maintained at my dealer two times. PLEASE go to my web page to see the inspection sheet from my excellent dealer, Rini. The site is www.pflueger.com/atv

Let's see...other than the brakes, I replaced my outer tie rod ends but this, also, is common and really has nothing to do with the engine or tranny.

That's it! I wish you best luck. Again, I really fail to see why Polaris would not accept your challenge. Hell, drive it there to Minnesota at your expense and if you are so sure you have a "lemon" which Polaris will obviously determine quickly, have THEM not only give you a brand new ATV right there, but any self-respecting company would reimburse you for your trip.

I don't see this as being an inappropriate request should you choose to approach Polaris with it.

A LEMON WILL STICK OUT. IT ALWAYS HAS AND ALWAYS WILL.

Bob Pflueger

Quick Reply: 500cc Sportsman repairs and Milage