ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   newb with 1st polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/361594-newb-1st-polaris.html)

bamax100 11-13-2014 12:16 PM

newb with 1st polaris

Bought a 2000 Polaris trailblazer 250 last night. Owner started it and let me hear it run but I forgot to question him on how to add gas and oil.
it is a 2 stroke and I see I need to add gas of course to the tank and there is a tank for oil on the nose.
My question,how to I go about fueling it and what oil to use etc.
thanks

stendori 11-13-2014 04:33 PM

you use 2 cycle oil in the front tank which will last at least 2 tanks of gas if it is set up right. I used the "Polaris gold synthetic" w/ my old trailblazer as it smell better and was better then regular 2 stroke oil. just a side note. you better make sure that the oil injection is still hooked up and working as some people discounted them and premixed the oil and gas.

bamax100 11-13-2014 05:43 PM

ok,another newbie question r 2..lol
how can I tell if its still hooked up?
and whether it is or not,can I just go ahead and premix the oil/gas and if so,what ratio is the mixture?

old polaris tech 11-13-2014 06:10 PM

Just look beneath the carb at the oil pump. Should be a large tube coming into it from the oil tank,a small line leading from it to the injector at the cylinder base. You can loosens screw #3 on the parts break down just a little to remove any trapped air and see if oil is reaching the pump. Wouldn't hurt to premix at a 50-1 ratio on the first tank since it's new to you. Will just smoke a little more than usual.These pumps are reliable,but as stendori mentioned many people defeat them because they don't trust them. Use a good synthetic 2 stroke injector oil as most will smoke less. Won't hurt to use this oil to premix also. Dirt Cheap Yamaha & Polaris OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

bamax100 11-13-2014 06:13 PM

thanks. I did notice when I cleaned the carb all of the lines were hooked up,didnt see any that had been removed.
I will try what u said and see how she does.thanks

bamax100 12-11-2014 05:43 PM

pre-mixed the oil/gas and ran it 1st time today...really like the power of the 2 stroke.
hardly any smoke but that might be from me not getting the mixture 100% correct.
I will be tuning it more this weekend.thanks for the help

stendori 12-12-2014 02:55 PM

glad it's up and going for you. just keep an eye on the oil tank to make sure that it is using oil. If I remember right you should get about 2 to 2 1/2 tanks of gas to a tank of oil, but I always would fill it up when you fuel to be sure you won't run out.;)

old polaris tech 12-12-2014 03:34 PM

[

Pump injects oil into the cylinder base on the 250. I said to mix the first tank 50-1 along with the oil pump system. It's what we had to do on new machines straight out of the crate just for protection as supposedly the pump was bled from the factory.Normally you can just bleed the pump of any trapped air,but a little extra wont hurt especially during a break in period.May smoke a tad more,but running it this way on the first tank of fuel can be added protection in case there's any trapped air and allows the pump to clear this out. Second tank just go back to regular fuel.

bamax100 12-12-2014 03:53 PM

I wasn't sure how much to add but I put some in oil tank.the way the petcock leaked,i knew I wouldn't run it long b4 it leaked out about 1/2 gallon of gas. I premixed about 1 gallon 50-1 and tossed in half of the premix and had a little oil also b4 I rode it. once I get the petcock on and solve the leak,i will work on the injector pump and if it works,tune it all to work on that. so far,i like the 2 stroke.

old polaris tech 12-12-2014 04:07 PM

Very easy to see if the pump still works. Just bleed the 10mm screw on top of the pump,pull the line from the cylinder base.Put your finger over the injector at the cylinder. Crank the engine up,hold the pump arm all the way up. Tricks it into pumping full force. Should be a dribble of oil coming from the line if the pump is ok.

bamax100 12-12-2014 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3271148)
Very easy to see if the pump still works. Just bleed the 10mm screw on top of the pump,pull the line from the cylinder base.Put your finger over the injector at the cylinder. Crank the engine up,hold the pump arm all the way up. Tricks it into pumping full force. Should be a dribble of oil coming from the line if the pump is ok.

thanks

bamax100 12-18-2014 07:21 PM

Polaris is running good. Wired in an ignition from another polaris a friend was parting out so now I have lites.Dash lites even work. Only issue i have now is it seems to want to backfire when I crank it.I only have pull start and will usually fire right up on the 1st pull but ive gotten where i pull it real easy a pull or two before i give it a good yank because if you yank it hard first time,it will backfire.1st time it did it i thought it blew up on me..lol
i am pre-mixing the gas right now..maybe i have the mixture off? its 50-1 and i have oil in the front tank while i work on seeing if the injection system is working

old polaris tech 12-18-2014 07:45 PM

50-1 premix on the first tank of fuel along with the oil pump is ok as that is what we had to do on new ones. Back firing could be carb related (loading up)if too much fuel is entering the cylinder from a worn needle and seat.Since this machine is new to you I'd install a carb kit and hopefully this may stop the back firing. Plus may not be a bad idea if you can, to pull the flywheel and clean it and the stator with electrical cleaner. I'm sure the stator area would be dirty over the years. Seal the cover and rope handle with a good rtv sealant to stop any future moisture from entering.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-Trail-Blazer-250-1996-2000-Carb-Carburetor-Kit-/261285380350?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cd5d280fe&vxp=mtr

bamax100 12-18-2014 07:51 PM

if i find the pump isnt working,what mixture should it run on?

old polaris tech 12-18-2014 08:02 PM

If for some reason the pump doesn't work,pull the oil line from the injector at the base of the cylinder,cap this injector off and premix 40-1. You can drain the oil tank, leave the pump in place as it works in tandem with the split throttle cable,or buy a pump block off kit and run a single throttle cable if you wish. Here's one place that has block off kits and cables. http://www.aaenperformance.com/2S_P2.asp

bamax100 12-19-2014 04:32 PM

rode the atv around a little today,..not hard just up the road to my dads etc. so,last time I rode it...turned it off w the key.(I just installed this key and wired it in and its been checked so I know its good). went inside for about 30 minutes,and it hasn't even attempted to start again.Only have pullstart and it usually cranks first pull real easy. feels like its harder to pull and acting as if I have the killswitch on. it just doesn't fire. im 6'2 and 300 so pulling it isnt an issue.lol
I had it do this right after I got it home and it didn't have a choke on it so I ordered one and its been fine ever since. any ideas?

old polaris tech 12-19-2014 05:58 PM

Pull the spark plug,pull the recoil with throttle wide open without the key off first to see if the engine is flooded with gas.Might be a good time to do a compression check also to see where you stand.If compression is over 115psi or so should be enough to start it. May have to hold the throttle wide open again to clear any gas residue for it to start.Install the carb kit if you haven't done so and always turn the fuel valve off on these old two strokes when you're through.

bamax100 12-19-2014 07:22 PM

weird. when I took the carb off to clean it,it was in really good shape. and I have rode the Polaris some b4 and this hasn't ever happened till today. I will pull the plug tmrw and see what she does. crazy cause it was running super good.

old polaris tech 12-19-2014 09:13 PM

Check the plug out to in case you may have fouled it out. Carbs can look good and clean,but parts can be worn such as the needle and seat,float level off,etc. I'd still do a compression check,then check that you still have good spark.If both check out ok,then just install a new carb kit.

bamax100 12-19-2014 09:17 PM

I will check it out tmrw. I will confess,the plug hasn't been changed. Its possible its just old as crap. Whats the recommended plug?

old polaris tech 12-19-2014 09:36 PM

NGK BR8ES Gap .028.

bamax100 12-20-2014 06:35 PM

didn't have a lot of time to tinker with it but pulled the spark plug,pulled the cord and I have excellent spark. turned it over with plug out,no wetness and plug was dry...kinda dark but not wet at all.
ill check carb tmrw....last time it did this was when I cleaned the carb and installed the new choke cable. This keeps up,its gonna get a starter put on it.lol

bamax100 12-31-2014 07:32 PM

well,I havnt touched it till late this evening,decided to just pull it and second pull,it fired up. i did notice the pull start was easier to pull than when it wouldn't start.
I don't think its a weather temperament issue as the weather is about the same as it was the day it wouldn't fire back up.

old polaris tech 12-31-2014 08:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Always turn the fuel valve off on the old two strokes when you're through riding for the day. Could leak fuel past the carb needle and seat into the crank case making starting hard. Plus could have been when you pulled the plug and turned the engine over,may have freed one of these critters.. Happy New Year!