Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 Atp - new owner with list of things to fix up

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 Atp - new owner with list of things to fix up

I just purchased a 05 atp that has a few issues I need to get sorted out. I've done quite a bit of reading on this forum and others but have a few questions.

1. There are no rear brakes. New pads, etc. however it likely needs a new rear master cylinder. Are the rebuild kits on ebay worth it or should I just purchase a OEM cylinder? I was told by the dealer that Polaris doesn't sell a kit so the ebay ones are an aftermarket. Has anyone tried them? How are they for fit and quality?

2. It needs a temp sensor. The wires are torn off the one I have. It's the one on the lower part of the radiator. I read somewhere that there is an automotive one that will work. Is it for a Nissan? Anyone know off hand the year and model of the automotive one that will work? If I went to an auto parts store they'd need to know. How difficult are these to change?

3. A couple of other things needs include tie rods and a front UJoint. Those seem like pretty easy repairs. Should also do a wheel alignment as the front wheels look tipped in at the top a bit.

Thanks for any help.

Old 01-18-2015, 03:37 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Here's a list of things that may help.Make a list of common numbers we need Rear brake dual line master cylinder(1910637) isn't rebuildable. Cheapest I've found is $101.00 At Partzilla if still available. Or one on ebay.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Master-cylinder-foot-brake-Polaris-ATP-04-05-06-1910637-/300775077510?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4607977686&vxp=mtr

Old 01-18-2015, 04:50 PM
Trailblazer
Old 01-18-2015, 04:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Never seen a kit for a rear master cylinder,plus haven't torn into these small ones. Seems like someone may have finally come up with a decent rebuild kit for these. May be at least worth a try since they're only 25 bucks versus the cost of a new one. If it doesn't work,complete replacement master cylinders will always be out there..

Old 01-18-2015, 05:05 PM
Trailblazer

yes. The PO said that the piston was seized so he cleaned it up and just put everything back together. I may try it as its likely just shrunk or warped seals. Thanks for the link by the way. I'm glad to know there are several other sources for parts.

This should be a fun bike to mess around with.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:38 PM
Trailblazer

I had a closer look at my front end tonight and jacked the front up and gave it a wiggle around. There is a bit of play in one lower ball joint but it stiffened up when I wacked the grease too it. No doubt a neglect issue and a nipple on each ball joint that never saw the grease before. After watching a few videos on YouTube on ball joint replacement, I am glad I don't have to go down that road as its a little more advanced than I wanted to tackle.

The PO swapped out a bent control arm one time and he must not have put bushings back in. Its flopping around pretty good so I have that to look into as well. So other than replacing all 4 tie rod ends and control arm bushings, I think I am good to go on the front end.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

Some questions on plastics.

I have the front trunk and front fender assembly all ready to come off but how do you get it over the handle bars? Do you just have to remove the four bolts holding the handlebars off and sort of thread it through. It there enough slack in the brake cable, throttle cable and such that you can just loosen the bar stem bolts without unhooking a bunch of stuff?

I just want access to check stuff over and I may de-decal and polish up the plastic.

Also, can you remove the lense off the speedometer or is it a sealed unit? The white background on the gauge has started to flake a bit and it's leaving dandruff behind making it hard to see the led guage.

Thanks for any help

Old 01-20-2015, 06:25 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Turn the plastic sideways,wiggle one end up past one side of the bars and the other side will just slide over.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:40 PM
Trailblazer

Great..that saves a lot of work.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:39 AM
Trailblazer

Any advice on what A-arm bushing sets to purchase? I see ones on ebay (aftermarket and some OEM) that basically look just like a poly sleeve that shoves in the A-arm. Cheap...simple...but maybe not the best and most durable.

Also there are some aftermarket ones that look more complex with roller bearings and replacement seals, etc. Like these

http://www.quadboss.com/a.arm_bear_seal.html

Quick Reply: 500 Atp - new owner with list of things to fix up