Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2010 Trail Blazer 330 oil cooler fan questions

Old 05-19-2015, 06:54 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 Trail Blazer 330 oil cooler fan questions

Hello all, new member here.

Great site.

I just picked up a very low mile 2010 330 Trail Blazer for my daughter to ride with me, I have a 2012 RZR 800.

The Trail Blazer is in excellent condition.

Got the Trail Blazer home last night and rode it around for a short while with no issues.

Today my daughter was testing it out in our wooded property, driving very slowly stopping often to remove low branches and fixing trails.
The ATV did a lot of idling.

We noticed the red oil temp light came on but I didn't hear the fan running.

We turned the ATV off and let it cool down.
It seem to cool down quickly and when we restarted it the temp light was out but came back on after about 15 minutes of slow riding.

Again I didn't hear the fan running.

I did some research and per other discussions I disconnected the plug from the thermistor? and jumped 1 and 3, the red temp light on the dash came on but the fan did not turn on.

I unplugged the fan and jumped power to it and it ran fine.

So it seems the thermistor is working but there is no power going to the fan?

Is there a fuse or breaker for the fan? where is it located?
Anything else I can test?

Thanks in advance for any info or advice.

Name:  tb3302_zpsba7vvf2i.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  158.3 KB

Old 05-19-2015, 09:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Don't have the 2010 manual,just have the 2009 manual that has the ecm module.This I would have suspected as the cause of the no fan operation. You can pull the thermistor and check resistance when cold,then in a cup of boiling water. Resistance should drop. 2010 module shows a regulator /rectifier,no ecm,but still may incorporate the fan operation. Items 1 and 6 on the parts list.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Plus if like most 325/330s,the fan seldom kicks on unless super hot.If in doubt as to what to check just get the 5 buck manual that has the fan trouble shooting guide. Can save you time and money.2010 Polaris Trail Blazer Service Manual PDF Download

Old 05-19-2015, 09:27 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the great reply.

I'm thinking it's an issue with the ECM (if it controls the fan) as when I jump 1 and 3 connections on the thermistor the red temp light comes on but no fan.
Fan works when bypassed.

I've read other posts when the thermistor fails the red temp light and fan turn on immediately when key is turned on, my light doesn't turn on until the oil gets real hot.
Even though the fan doesn't turn on until the oil gets real hot, I would think it should turn on before the temp light comes on?

The only other option is a bad fuse or relay for the fan if they exist.

I'll get the service manaul download...thanks for the link.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:58 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Does show a fuse section on the harness details that you may want to check out.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

Old 05-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

I've seen that picture before and can't figure out front to back or side to side...where the heck would I begin to look on the ATV for the fuse?

Old 05-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Should be under the grey front panel would be my best guess..

Old 05-19-2015, 10:51 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was under there last night looking for loose connections and didn't see anything that looked like it.

Wonder if it's under the plastic cover on the handlebars?

Old 05-19-2015, 04:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Most fuses of this type would be under the front panel area.The old plastic pouch circuit breakers were mounted up from the battery and the fan circuit breaker was in a pouch under the front panel,that is on the older models. Hard to remember every machines electrical wiring. The manual should get more into specific locations on this 2010 model..

Old 05-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well after spending 3 hours mowing the lawn I did some more testing with some results.

I pulled the 3 wire plug off the thermistor.
Previously I tested the plug end by using a jumper wire between 1 and 3(the 2 outside terminals)
This resulted in the red temp dash light to come on when the ignition was on, but no fan.

I then used the jumper wire between one outside terminal and the middle terminal and the fan turned on

I don't know how the fan/temp light cycle works but I would surely think the fan should kick on/off before the temp light turns on?

So is it possible the thermistor is bad?

Where is the best/cheapest place to buy one?

Old 05-19-2015, 06:54 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the fan should come on before the temp light. I've rarely seen then temp light come on on any of my quads but the fan always cycles on and off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 Trail Blazer 330 oil cooler fan questions