ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   PLZ HELP scrambler 500 (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/364757-plz-help-scrambler-500-a.html)

scram5050 07-24-2015 11:37 PM

PLZ HELP scrambler 500

hi there

i have a 2000 polaris scrambler 500 here is the problem
when i start it up it starts perfect idles revs excelent when i take off it drives perfect for about 15 20 mins depending how hot it is outside.. then once hot it starts spraying coolent out of the coolent jug then it starts loosing power bogging when i go about half throttle at that point i choose to drive home and i can drive home perfect with no bog under half throttle if i go over half throttle it keeps bogging and somtimes back fires if i really push it
ANY responce would be amazing im really stuck here

:huh:

1ArmBandit 07-25-2015 12:35 AM

are you sure ur impeller isnt shredded, therefore, not circulating coolant...

scram5050 07-25-2015 01:06 AM

so you think over heating ?
i would have to check that would the impeller being shreaded cause my bog ?
and i will have to check that... i was reading about these modles having cam shaft issues but im hoping this isent the case

stendori 07-25-2015 05:23 AM

if it's spitting out coolant then it has an overheating issue. if the water pump stop working it wouldn't take very long to over heat but that wouldn't change on the amount of throttle you gave it. imo

old polaris tech 07-25-2015 05:36 AM

Yes they had cam issues on the early Scramblers,but don't think that's the problem of over heating. Pull the radiator cap,elevate the front end and let the engine run and fan cycle on and off. Should see coolant moving in the radiator a little plus check for any leaks under the water pump housing or elsewhere. Could be a trapped air issue if the coolant level drops in the radiator. May just need to be topped off after that. Also something simple as needing a new 13 psi radiator cap could be the problem. If the fan doesn't kick on,could be a faulty radiator sensor or the fan circuit breaker under the front panel causing this which can cause one to overheat.This was one of the last models to have the sensor at the top of the radiator and could short out if coolant got too low stopping the fan from operating. Item #15 Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse And yes if coolant has run low long enough it can melt an impeller from cavitation. Just check the fan operation and for any trapped air or leaking first.

scram5050 07-25-2015 08:25 AM

hey guys thanks for replying im glad you dont think its a cam issue pheeww lol ...
i went out and looked for coolant leakes with a flash light i dident see any now is the water pump on the left side of the quad or the right side ? and thank you opt i will try doing that after lunch would be a easy fix ... i dident know over heating would cause a quad to start bogging thats why i was so lost as to whats going on here

scram5050 07-25-2015 08:33 AM

stendori i usally bring it back right away as soon as i feel it losing power ... now the first time it happend i had no idea what was going on so i kept riding thinking it was a blocked jet or somthing i kept givin er for a extra 20 mins and at that point i guess it was so hot it dident matter how much throttle i gave it bogged no matter if i tapped the throttle or gave it full i guess it was so over heated

1ArmBandit 07-25-2015 08:36 AM

ur pump is on the right side if you are sitting on the machine, just follow the rad. lines...its in like a circular housing with the hoses coming from it, but like opt said, check for air

scram5050 07-25-2015 08:52 AM

1ArmBandit thank you .....and forgot to mention my fan dose work great comes on and off as needed i just noticed my rad looks like crap tho some fins bent looks kinda dirty also i just bought this bike a week ago so im new to it never relly owned a liqude cooled before guy said nothing was wrong with it well i guess there is lol

scram5050 07-25-2015 11:16 AM

hey guys i did what you said i let it idle for like 15 mins just seen air bubbles in the rad and some squrting it kept filling up nothing went down it over flowed a couple times not a major over flow just little bits i was using a syring to lower it abit so it dident go all over my floor im so lost

TLC 07-25-2015 12:53 PM

Do you see any coolant coming from the water pump housing? I should have a weep hole to let you know it its a seal problem.

Not sure if the H.Os had the cam problems?
The 500 Scrambler got the High duration H.O cam in 1998 where as the Sportsman did not get it until 2001, two years later.

scram5050 07-25-2015 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by TLC (Post 3295685)
Do you see any coolant coming from the water pump housing? I should have a weep hole to let you know it its a seal problem.

Not sure if the H.Os had the cam problems?
The 500 Scrambler got the High duration H.O cam in 1998 where as the Sportsman did not get it until 2001, two years later.

hey there no coolant leak from anywere other then coolant jug when it starts spewing out when its over heating i started leaning towards blown head gasket but i have no coolant in my oil no white smoke from exuast and no smell of coolant when quad iis running am i looking at a rad problem some fins are crushed and it looks pretty dirty and pluged and thats what i can see just from looking i could imagine whhat it looks like if i pulled it out of the quad

scram5050 07-25-2015 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3295641)
Yes they had cam issues on the early Scramblers,but don't think that's the problem of over heating. Pull the radiator cap,elevate the front end and let the engine run and fan cycle on and off. Should see coolant moving in the radiator a little plus check for any leaks under the water pump housing or elsewhere. Could be a trapped air issue if the coolant level drops in the radiator. May just need to be topped off after that. Also something simple as needing a new 13 psi radiator cap could be the problem. If the fan doesn't kick on,could be a faulty radiator sensor or the fan circuit breaker under the front panel causing this which can cause one to overheat.This was one of the last models to have the sensor at the top of the radiator and could short out if coolant got too low stopping the fan from operating. Item #15 Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse And yes if coolant has run low long enough it can melt an impeller from cavitation. Just check the fan operation and for any trapped air or leaking first.

hey guys i did what you said i let it idle for like 15 mins just seen air bubbles in the rad and some squrting it kept filling up nothing went down it over flowed a couple times not a major over flow just little bits i was using a syring to lower it abit so it dident go all over my floor im so lost

TLC 07-25-2015 01:21 PM

My friends 700 Sportsman was over heating and over flowing and steaming from the overflow bottle due to baked hard mud in the rad fins.
The bottom of the rad looked ok but the top half which was hard to see was jammed tight with baked mud.

old polaris tech 07-25-2015 01:26 PM

If it's bubbling then it still has air. Try squeezing the hoses and lifting the machine a little higher to see if it helps. You can do a pressure test on the cooling system and see if it holds 10 psi. This way you can tell if its in the cooling system sucking air or a small leak somewhere. Also again doesn't happen often but impellers can melt from cavitation and heat or the nut can back off causing flow problems.Plus yes what TLC said on the radiator behind the fan. Another common area that people over look.

scram5050 07-25-2015 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3295693)
If it's bubbling then it still has air. Try squeezing the hoses and lifting the machine a little higher to see if it helps. You can do a pressure test on the cooling system and see if it holds 10 psi. This way you can tell if its in the cooling system sucking air or a small leak somewhere. Also again doesn't happen often but impellers can melt from cavitation and heat or the nut can back off causing flow problems.Plus yes what TLC said on the radiator behind the fan. Another common area that people over look.

not sure on how to do that how could i post a photo to show you a pic of the rad

stendori 07-25-2015 02:39 PM

basically what they are saying about the rad being blocked would be on the fan side. if you look at the rear side of rad and it has mud packed in the fins then it could be part of the reason off the over heating. also as opt mentioned if there is any air in the system it will cause over heating as well. if you carefully run your hands up and down the hoses from the engine it should be the same hotness to see if the impeller is working or not and to see if the coolant is circulating.

scram5050 07-25-2015 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by TLC (Post 3295692)
My friends 700 Sportsman was over heating and over flowing and steaming from the overflow bottle due to baked hard mud in the rad fins.
The bottom of the rad looked ok but the top half which was hard to see was jammed tight with baked mud.

yes this may be what is happening id like to post a pic to show you guys what it looks like to get your oppinion on if you think its to dirty or maby im just hoping for a simple souloution lol if you know how to post a pic let me know and i willl

scram5050 07-25-2015 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by stendori (Post 3295704)
basically what they are saying about the rad being blocked would be on the fan side. if you look at the rear side of rad and it has mud packed in the fins then it could be part of the reason off the over heating. also as opt mentioned if there is any air in the system it will cause over heating as well. if you carefully run your hands up and down the hoses from the engine it should be the same hotness to see if the impeller is working or not and to see if the coolant is circulating.

ok well yes on the rad on the fan side it dose have crushed fins some how and mud packed in some areas rad is lookng ruff i will go out side right now and check the hoses the ones from engine to rad right or no ?

scram5050 07-25-2015 02:50 PM

to be completely honest i dont evan think coolant is making it to the hose from rad to engine its a cleaar tube and i dont see anything
just looks empty my cool aslo boils in the rad when i come to a stop i hear a hissing sound ffrom rad no steam though

scram5050 07-25-2015 03:05 PM

ok i was wrong its a big black hose its hard to tell about the heat cuz its right above the exuast pipe so its kinda making it hot but no leaks in it anyway i have been noticing a knocking noise coming from the right side of the machine behind the pull cord box would that be my impeller bouncing around in there broken ? its not coming from the cylender head its right behind the recoil box i was assuming it was just the recoil pecies bouncing around cuz i dont have the rope in there atm holding it tight but now im thinking it could be my impeller loose ? any ideas

old polaris tech 07-25-2015 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by scram5050 (Post 3295710)
to be completely honest i dont evan think coolant is making it to the hose from rad to engine its a cleaar tube and i dont see anything
just looks empty my cool aslo boils in the rad when i come to a stop i hear a hissing sound ffrom rad no steam though

?? You have a clear hose leading from the radiator to the water pump,not a regular radiator hose? Plus you never mentioned if the fan kicks on or off? Look at this parts diagram. Left radiator hose goes to the water pump,right hose is the return coolant line from the engine/thermostat. Has the small clear tube from the filler neck that goes to the recovery bottle.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Radiator sucks coolant from the bottle back into the radiator when needed, allows it to go back to the recovery bottle when radiator is overfull.Also a bad 13 psi radiator cap can cause coolant to spew from the recovery bottle.If it's boiling in the radiator and hoses aren't firm and same temperature as mentioned, may be an impeller issue not being able to push the coolant through the engine.Trying to help you figure out the problem whether it's a stopped up/muddy radiator,bad cap, or a melted impeller?

old polaris tech 07-25-2015 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by scram5050 (Post 3295711)
ok i was wrong its a big black hose its hard to tell about the heat cuz its right above the exuast pipe so its kinda making it hot but no leaks in it anyway i have been noticing a knocking noise coming from the right side of the machine behind the pull cord box would that be my impeller bouncing around in there broken ? its not coming from the cylender head its right behind the recoil box i was assuming it was just the recoil pecies bouncing around cuz i dont have the rope in there atm holding it tight but now im thinking it could be my impeller loose ? any ideas

Just pull the w/p cover and check.If the impeller is ok,all you're out is the price of a new gasket.. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

scram5050 07-25-2015 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3295715)
Just pull the w/p cover and check.If the impeller is ok,all you're out is the price of a new gasket.. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

hey opt thanks for all the help this things falling apart as we speak lol i bought it for 900 expecting to put mney it over the winter i really like the quad so im gona try my best to figure everything out anyway..

after i talked you saying i was wrong about the black rad hose i found it connected to water pump so i loosened it to see if coolant is making to the pump and it is it poured out abit so i hooked it back up and right after i did that there was no more air bubbles in the rad while it idle so i thought hey some how i fixed it sure enough took it for a ride i did NOT fix it lol so on home i went cuz it started overheating and spraying out the coolant jug when i get home my fan is on so yes it dose work and works all the time sorry for not mentioning it earlier anyway.. i turn the bike off let it sit for acouple minutes go to turn it back on now my battery is dead my luck i dont what is happening to this thing i used my multi meter to check voltage right now its at 9 v not enough to evan turn starter over just hear a click right now its recharging itself some how when the quad is off the battery is climing its way up to 11 v right now i dont know how it died in th first place just went for a short 2 min ride maby from all the idleing today and no driving ?

and yes will take pump cover off in the morning and let you know what it looks like in there

old polaris tech 07-26-2015 06:44 AM

Before you tear anything apart charge the battery fully.If in doubt about the condition of the battery have it load tested,replace it if necessary. Crank it up and see if it's charging around 14-14.5 volts back to the battery. If it's only showing battery voltage or less when the engine rpms are above an idle, could be the regulator rectifier is faulty or maybe a wire has come loose. Not enough voltage can keep fans from operating properly also which can lead to over heating. Batteries that have shorted cells or faulty regulators can cause all sorts of problems. Just check this out. Plus here's a cheap regulator if you need one.Rectifier Regulator Fits Polaris ATV Scrambler 500 97 02 New | eBay

scram5050 07-26-2015 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3295756)
Before you tear anything apart charge the battery fully.If in doubt about the condition of the battery have it load tested,replace it if necessary. Crank it up and see if it's charging around 14-14.5 volts back to the battery. If it's only showing battery voltage or less when the engine rpms are above an idle, could be the regulator rectifier is faulty or maybe a wire has come loose. Not enough voltage can keep fans from operating properly also which can lead to over heating. Batteries that have shorted cells or faulty regulators can cause all sorts of problems. Just check this out. Plus here's a cheap regulator if you need one.Rectifier Regulator Fits Polaris ATV Scrambler 500 97 02 New | eBay

hey there i have it on charge should be done soon its at 11 v now couple mre hrs well im waiting can i ask you 1 quick question ?
with all the problems im having regarding over heating is that the cause of my quad bogging out when its start spraying coolant that s when it usally starts bogging can that be the cause or do i have another issue on my hands just thought id ask while im waiting

old polaris tech 07-26-2015 04:15 PM

If the battery can't hold a charge or the/regulator rectifier can't supply enough voltage to keep the battery charged,the fan may not operate properly or long enough,the battery will drain down. Yes it can cause some of the problems you're having. Just eliminate the battery and regulator as a problem,then if still having problems move on the next area to check out. It's just a process of elimination until you find out what's wrong. A good manual can help you in many ways.2002 Polaris Scrambler 500 Service Manual PDF Download

scram5050 07-26-2015 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3295820)
If the battery can't hold a charge or the/regulator rectifier can't supply enough voltage to keep the battery charged,the fan may not operate properly or long enough,the battery will drain down. Yes it can cause some of the problems you're having. Just eliminate the battery and regulator as a problem,then if still having problems move on the next area to check out. It's just a process of elimination until you find out what's wrong. A good manual can help you in many ways.2002 Polaris Scrambler 500 Service Manual PDF Download

hey battery finished quicker then i thought its sitting at 12.61 volts

and ok what i ment was could the quad overheating cause it to bog and run like crap when its hot today was the first battery issue usally its fine what i ment to say was when the quad starts its over heating issue it boggs down and stuff can over heating cause it to start bogging whie hot and not run good cuz i can come home shut it off let it sit for about 2 houres and it runs mint again untill it over heats then the bogg comes bback

old polaris tech 07-26-2015 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by scram5050 (Post 3295821)
hey battery finished quicker then i thought its sitting at 12.61 volts

Now have the battery load tested! It can show fully charged but voltage can drop like a rock when under a load if it has an open cell. Plus check that when running it's charging at least 14-14.5 volts back to the battery to indicate that the regulator is ok.. Don't skip this step.

scram5050 07-26-2015 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3295826)
Now have the battery load tested! It can show fully charged but voltage can drop like a rock when under a load if it has an open cell. Plus check that when running it's charging at least 14-14.5 volts back to the battery to indicate that the regulator is ok.. Don't skip this step.

hey just turned it on and put volt meter on it it droped from 12.57 to 12.40 and if i hit the throttle it would go a little lower

old polaris tech 07-27-2015 05:56 AM

Originally Posted by scram5050 (Post 3295831)
hey just turned it on and put volt meter on it it droped from 12.57 to 12.40 and if i hit the throttle it would go a little lower

If you have it on the atv and running,it's not charging! Should be at 14 volts.. Check that the regulator wires are all plugged in. If they are just order the cheap regulator on ebay.This may be the main reason you're having problems?

scram5050 07-27-2015 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3295857)
If you have it on the atv and running,it's not charging! Should be at 14 volts.. Check that the regulator wires are all plugged in. If they are just order the cheap regulator on ebay.This may be the main reason you're having problems?

just looked at recifire it actually has a burned pig tail connecter its toast i cant reconnect the pig tail at all if i was to buy a new one i cant connect it ither both peices r black and toast lol

old polaris tech 07-27-2015 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by scram5050 (Post 3295868)
just looked at recifire it actually has a burned pig tail connecter its toast i cant reconnect the pig tail at all if i was to buy a new one i cant connect it ither both peices r black and toast lol

Just simply splice in new bullet connectors on the burnt wiring to accept new regulator leads. You have to have it to keep the battery charged,so the lights will work,fan will work,etc....I've had regulators melt along with wiring also. Had to do the same thing.

scram5050 07-27-2015 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3295883)
Just simply splice in new bullet connectors on the burnt wiring to accept new regulator leads. You have to have it to keep the battery charged,so the lights will work,fan will work,etc....I've had regulators melt along with wiring also. Had to do the same thing.

can you please explain to me how to splice it ? and just to let you know its the solid yellow wire

old polaris tech 07-27-2015 09:40 AM

Plenty of other videos on this..https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...let+connectors

scram5050 07-27-2015 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3295890)

where can i buy new bullete connecters

1ArmBandit 07-27-2015 12:56 PM

auto parts store...walmart

scram5050 07-27-2015 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by scram5050 (Post 3295913)
where can i buy new bullete connecters

never mind lol found some

user493 07-27-2015 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3295890)

I have the same cheap wiring tool in my tool box. I never even thought about spinning it around to cut the insulation better. I'll have to remember that. BTW he strips off too much insulation. I guess that's better than too little but you can only stick it so far into a butt connector on each end.