Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2004 polaris sportsman 700

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 05:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 polaris sportsman 700

I wanted to ride today started it up seems to be running on one cylinder. it will move but has little to no power couldn't even load on pickup to take to the shop

Old 09-26-2015, 07:57 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Efi or carb model? If it's a carb model depending on build date it will either have the Ducati or Kokusan ignition system? Other than checking for spark or replacing the the BKR7ES plug more info on this model would help.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:47 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd try replacing both spark plugs. Logic says that if its a twin cylinder model and it feels like its only running on one cylinder, its that one of the plugs is bad. Odds are that the other one isn't much better either. Its something cheap and easy to try. Might get lucky.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Im new to this and thought I got a great deal on the Polaris got to ride it for a week. I dont know where to find the Serial #. But it does have a carb. It say 700 Twin on the side. Its yellow in color.Ill check the the plugs and do a compression check and see what I find.It sure sucks to get a new toy that last for a week that took 3 years to save for.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

17 digit serial# is etched into the lower frame behind the left front arm. 10th digit is the year model. Remove the front rack and pop the front panel to see if you have a single coil/cdi that says Ducati or a separate cdi and coil that means you have the later Kokusan ignition system. This can mean a lot as to what might be the problem if you definitely don't have spark on one cylinder.

Old 09-26-2015, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank You heading to garage now. I know now with this new toy my tool box is going to grow in size.

Old 09-26-2015, 01:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Fun Fun Ok got the front opened up found single coil had Kokusan on it. Was able to get rear spark plug out and changed it . Old plug was in great shape no oil no carbon. I dont know how I will get out the front plug still looking at that. Going to have to grow some new skin on my nuckles already.I did find the serial # turning into a floor rat already. I see why shops have lifts.The tenth # was a 4 followed by A

Old 09-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Believe it or not it's easier if you reach the left side plug from the right side of the engine.Remove the crank case vent tube and you're able to reach over and pull the plug cap. I just used the 5/8" socket and a small extension and small ratchet,if you have one.If not a regular one will usually do. I have large hands,so if I can get it out anyone can.. If you have a compression gauge I'd do a quick test to see where you stand. Hopefully just a fouled plug and nothing else. They originally came with Champions which were junk. I started using BKR7ES Ngk plugs before Polaris ever started using them.Plus handy if you have a flexible magnet to grab the plug and pull it out.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 07 700 burning through gas

so i have an 04 sportsman 700 twin cyl carb. and i went riding this weekend with my buddy and when i was done i barely made it back to trailer she burned a whole tank of gas he has two hondas and they barely went a half tank and i noticed that i could not ride with my right leg on foot step it is so freaking hot ... almost as if the bike is running super rich and the exhaust is extremely hot she isnt over heating that i can tell its been like this since i bought it used... please send me some ideas where to go from here i bought a stage one dyno kit for carb to get more power but do i want to start messing with jets and eat more fuel

Old 04-19-2017, 03:49 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Mark Mazzoni
so i have an 04 sportsman 700 twin cyl carb. and i went riding this weekend with my buddy and when i was done i barely made it back to trailer she burned a whole tank of gas he has two hondas and they barely went a half tank and i noticed that i could not ride with my right leg on foot step it is so freaking hot ... almost as if the bike is running super rich and the exhaust is extremely hot she isnt over heating that i can tell its been like this since i bought it used... please send me some ideas where to go from here i bought a stage one dyno kit for carb to get more power but do i want to start messing with jets and eat more fuel
Again like the posts above it matters whether it has a Ducati or Kokusan ignition.Some of the symptoms of the Ducati were excessive fuel consumption,popping back,erratic idle,hard starting and on some machines just wouldn't crank back up after you killed them.You can tell by looking under the front panel and see if you have the cdi/coil pack of the Ducati or the separate cdi and coil on the Kokusan replacement ignition on the later model 2004 700s.Then go from there.

Quick Reply: 2004 polaris sportsman 700