Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1994 Polaris 400 4X4, 2 stroke

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 05:36 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 Polaris 400 4X4, 2 stroke

Hi all,

I have this 94 400 2 stroke that has water spitting out of what appears to be a case vent hose , The hose is on the pull start handle side in the case behind the pull start handle or deeper into the engine than the case that houses the pull start cord , The hose spitting water/cruddy looking coolant is a tiny fish tank pump looking hose ...

Water appears to be cruddy coolant not sure how it got in and not sure how to get it out as I don't think I have a drain plug, I see a plug high on the case when plug is pulled I can see what looks to be a flywheel so I assume that is for checking the timing ...

The biggest though is to stop water going into the case and or out the hose ...

A bit of research suggests head gasket or water pump gasket ...

Any help here would be awesome ...

Thank You

Old 07-13-2015, 06:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Water pump seal are bad allowing coolant into counter balancer cavity and out the vent tube.Both seals,gasket,case gasket and bearing need to be replaced along with checking that the counter balancer bearing hasn't been corroded from coolant.Items 4,5,6 and 14.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Best to have the manual on this as the seals are different,have to be set right along with the bearing so it doesn't block the hole in the pump housing.DOWNLOAD 1985-1995 Polaris ATV Repair Manual ALL MODELS - Download ...

Old 07-13-2015, 08:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Water pump seal are bad allowing coolant into counter balancer cavity and out the vent tube.Both seals,gasket,case gasket and bearing need to be replaced along with checking that the counter balancer bearing hasn't been corroded from coolant.Items 4,5,6 and 14.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse Best to have the manual on this as the seals are different,have to be set right along with the bearing so it doesn't block the hole in the pump housing.DOWNLOAD 1985-1995 Polaris ATV Repair Manual ALL MODELS - Download ...
I will do it,

Thank You very much

Old 07-13-2015, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Oil Injection pump elimination

Could I get your opinion on eliminating the oil injection and mixing oil in the gas ...

I hear of engine being burnt up because of injection pump failure , If you haven't seen problems due to eliminating them then I just might do that ...

Thank You

Old 07-14-2015, 02:46 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by SDR-II
Could I get your opinion on eliminating the oil injection and mixing oil in the gas ...

I hear of engine being burnt up because of injection pump failure , If you haven't seen problems due to eliminating them then I just might do that ...
The 400 is the main one I would eliminate the oil pump on.250,300 engine oil pumps for the most part are dependable. The reason being that the 400 oil pump housing is located at the front of the engine,BAD idea to begin with. Subject to water,mud,dirt and can corrode/lock up after a few years."IF" the pump is operating fine with no damage you can leave it hooked up. Choice is yours on this. Just drain the tank,remove the injector line,replace the injector screw at the intake manifold with a small 6mm bolt and washer and premix 40-1 with a good 2 stroke oil.

Old 07-14-2015, 06:59 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
The 400 is the main one I would eliminate the oil pump on.250,300 engine oil pumps for the most part are dependable. The reason being that the 400 oil pump housing is located at the front of the engine,BAD idea to begin with. Subject to water,mud,dirt and can corrode/lock up after a few years."IF" the pump is operating fine with no damage you can leave it hooked up. Choice is yours on this. Just drain the tank,remove the injector line,replace the injector screw at the intake manifold with a small 6mm bolt and washer and premix 40-1 with a good 2 stroke oil.

I will eliminate it,good time for that is during the water pump job ...
Thank You , I really appreciate your advice ...

I'm a current automotive tech/shop owner if I can ever help you with anything automotive I will be happy to ...

Dave's Palisades ?

Thanks Again , Take Care

Old 09-28-2015, 11:29 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default 1994 Polaris 400 2 stroke

I wanted to thank you for your information , this is finally back together and running absolutely awesome ...

Troubles along the way ,
Balance shaft bearing surface was destroyed from the bearing seizing and tearing up the shaft ... I found a guy that machines the shaft and supplies bearing and seals for the machined shaft , What a job it was to remove it from the case ...

While apart it received brakes,ball joints,tie rod ends and shocks all around ...

The expansion tank had rotted, I couldn't find one ... We talked about disabling the injection pump and mixing the gas manually , I did ... The oil tank makes for a great expansion tank ...

Very Much

Old 09-29-2015, 01:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by SDR-II

The expansion tank had rotted, I couldn't find one ... The oil tank makes for a great expansion tank ...

Have heard of other people using the oil tank for an expansion tank on the older models that incorporated the tank into the air inlet for the clutch(bad idea to begin with) Others just sliced the cracked plastic tanks off the air ducts and found used separate bottles from old Sportsman 500s and mounted them up to frames.Main thing is that it works. Glad it's up and running.