Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Lower Steering Bushing...Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2001, 02:26 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought an aftermarket lower steering bushing, the bronze bushing type and I was wondering if it would be best to replace the factory rubber spacer bushing on the bottom or should I just take up the clearance with shim washers. My quad is a 96 Scrambler 4X4. Any other tips?

96 Scrambler 400 4X4

Old 02-10-2001, 09:37 AM
Pro Rider

The rubber/plastic one will wear out and fall off, causing up and down play in the handlebars. Go to a hardware store and get stainless steel washers for it.

Old 02-11-2001, 11:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks, I was afraid that the rubber would blow back out of there. I put it back together with steel washers and it seems ok. The steering seems a little tight but I guess it will loosen up after a few rides. I think the alignment of the lower bushing and the upper is a little off.

96 Scrambler 400 4X4

Old 02-11-2001, 06:20 PM
Range Rover

How much did the bushing cost you??? I am thinking about doing the same thing, I've already replaced the stock one and that was within the first 4 months. What all is required in putting a new one on. I havent ever messed with the steering bushing and was wondering if it would be hard to put on if you havent done this kinda stuff before. Thanks for any help.

Old 02-11-2001, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

I replaced the lower steering bushing on my SP500 a month or so ago. The job was relatively straightforward. I will try to give you a bullet point procedure.
1. Remove the headlight pod cover and side plastics.
2. Remove the handle bar clamp.
3. Remove the steering column lock nut and washers. (bottom or steering rod).
4. Lift the steering rod out of the lower bushing.
5. Drill out the rivets holding the bushing.
6. Enlarge the holes to 1/4". Right angle drill works the best but can be done with a regular hand drill.
7. Make sure the new bushing fits on the steering rod. Some filing and or polishing may be necessary.
8. Install the new bushing with the supplied bolts.
9. Now reinstall it the opposite way you dismantled it.
10. It is important to note, do not tighten the lower retaining nut more than hand tight otherwise the rubber washer will squish out and loose steering up and down will develop.

Old 02-11-2001, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi sportsman6X6, I replaced the bushing on my 96 Scrambler on Sat. The bushing cost me $35.00. The procedure was pretty much like traildog said except I had to remove the upper bushing too. The hardest part was getting the rivet holes drilled to 1/4 inch. I couldnt get in there with my drill so I had to use a dremel tool. Maybe the Scrambler is a little tighter than the Sportsman for clearance with the front drive chain. My tie rod ends were also a little loose and the dealer wants about $30.00 each for them,so I put them in the vice and tightened them a little with a few taps of a hammer. I figured I didn't have anything to lose because I would have to buy new ones anyway but it worked great. We rode for about 6 hours to day and it handled great..Don't waste your money on the stock bushing. There was play in the upper bushing too but it was only the u shaped strap that bends out of shape allowing play in the steering shaft. A little bending in the vice corrected that.

96 Scrambler 4X4

Old 02-11-2001, 11:57 PM
Pro Rider

I installed a new lower bushing in the 400 last Sunday. The installation on the Scrambler is a little different than the Sportsman.
I also used a Dremel tool to grind out the rivets, but I discovered that with a 12 inch long 1/4 inch diameter drill ( I got mine at Sears for $ 5.00 ) will reach the holes from above with the oil tank out, (I'm not sure about the 500cc models, as to what's under the hood piece. I removed the pump & tank and went pre-mix ) to ream them out to size. I found that the ID of the bronze bushing was too small for the post, so I used a brake cylinder hone to remove some material out of the ID. I got a nice tight fit with no binding. I found out the the trick is to place the bushing on the shaft, then set the bushing and the post into the bracket and tighten the bolts. Much easier than trying to slide the post into the mounted bushing.

Old 02-12-2001, 06:36 PM
Range Rover

Hey guys, thanks for all the info. It seems like a fairly easy job. Also, I am thinking of replacing the rubber spacer with washers, did you only use one or two of the stainless steel washers? Again, thanks for the help guys.

Old 02-14-2001, 01:55 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Sportsman6x6,
I used 2 washers that fit over the shaft. I didn't uses stainless steel but regular washers. I don't see that it makes a difference. I also used the factory washers above and below the bushing that ride against the rubber o-ring seals for the bushing.

96 Scrambler 400 4x4

Old 09-13-2019, 06:00 AM
Weekend warrior
Default Scrambler 400 lower steering stem bushings

l have a problem with the lower bushing on my steering stem needs replacing the rubber is going on it now is it hard to put it back on the bike and how should I do it