Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler chain/brake/swingarm guard

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-1999, 12:59 PM
jim
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried a PRM chain guard & cant believe how they mount it to the quad. They only use 2 long bolts from the underside of the guard to a plate that just lays on top of the swingarm. Even after tightening you can still move the guard around by hitting it since the top plate slides around on the swing arm. Has anyone tried any other brands & if so how do they mount? Does anyone have any experience good or bad w/ PRM's swingarm/chain guard?
Thanks
Jim Maloney

Old 09-29-1999, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

I have a PRM and it stays nice and tight.

<A HREF="http://www.godigital-design.com/96Polaris.html">Schultz Motorsports</A>

Old 09-30-1999, 08:35 AM
Pro Rider

Just thought about what you said about 2 bolts. Mine has two bolts that bolt up to the rear of the swingarm using the chain adjuster bolts. Then there is one bolt in the front. You may have to adapt the bolt slightly depending if it's a Scrambler or Sport, but it fits up real nice that way. I've had mine on for 3 years now and actually used PRM's original one made for the Scrambler in '97.

<A HREF="http://www.godigital-design.com/96Polaris.html">Schultz Motorsports</A>

Old 10-01-1999, 01:03 PM
jim
Pro Rider

This design has been out for 10 months according to PRM & the guard doesn't actually screw into anything on the quad at all. They just basically sandwich the swing arm between the top plate & the guard itself. If they made the guard longer then I could drill holes in it the same way yours screws in & secure it there but it doesn't extend back far enough. Maybe the concentric drive caused them to change their design, I dont know. I found 3 places under the swing arm where I could drill holes & screw in metal screws to secure it better. I'm not sure how this will hold up though. I hate having to re-engineer stuff. Has anyone tried any other brands?
Thanks
Jim Maloney 98 400 scrambler

Old 10-01-1999, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider

Jim,

I understand that DG has a new swingarm skidplate for the Concentric drive series. I have one of the old drive systems and thus the old swingarm skidplate. When I installed the DG, I had to rig a bolt to the front of the skidplate to keep it in place. I took a fairly long bolt, bent it in the shape of a U, ran the threaded end throught the hole in the skidplate and put the bent end over the crossmember in the swingarm. I then added a nut, washer and lock washer then torched off the excess. I haven't had a problem since.

The thing I don't like about DG is that I have had to fabricate quite a few things just to get it to fit. This is also true of the front bumper, which came without top mounting bolts.

In the new Polaris accessory catalog, they have a swingarn skidplate. It is a bit pricey at $99

------------------
Mike Chero 97 Polaris Sport 400L/ 97 Polaris Trailblazer 250ES

http://users.penn.com/~hal9000/mikeetta.html

Old 10-01-1999, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

PRM did have to re-design it for the concentric drive models. I wanted to order one back in October '98, but they didn't have them ready for the '99 models until around Febuary or March I think. She said they couldn't get one in. Someone from the forums is the guy that lended his Scrambler to them to make the plates, and I think they had it for almost 2 months if I remember right! Anyway, by time they finaly came out with the plate I didn't want one anymore.

Old 10-02-1999, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

Polaris now offers factory aluminum skids for the swingarn/chassis/and A-arm's. I have the '00 Polaris accessory book which shows them all on a Scrambler 500.

Prices are $99 per peice, and for the set of A-arm guards. Only on the chassis skid does it say its 3/16", not sure about the others. The swingarm plate looks like it bolts to the two bolts the hold the carrier in, with two others up front.

------------------
Jerry Goodman '99 400L, '98 TBlazer