ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   2006 SP 500 EFI - Amsoil Full FLuid Change Notes 2006 SP 500 EFI - Amsoil Full FLuid (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/365759-2006-sp-500-efi-amsoil-full-fluid-change-notes-2006-sp-500-efi-amsoil-full-fluid.html)

Justin Durrant 10-23-2015 10:52 PM

2006 SP 500 EFI - Amsoil Full FLuid Change Notes 2006 SP 500 EFI - Amsoil Full FLuid

Hey all, just replaced all the fluids on my 2006 SP 500 EFI and wanted to share my experience\notes. Some of this is likely repeat so I apologize, but wanted to give my perspective.

Fluids used:

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5755/...ff33252d_c.jpg

Oil Change

Pretty straightforward. You are going to need a 14mm wrench for both the oil plug and crankcase bolts. I opted against removing the screen for a few reasons. First it seems most people simply don't other then those first few changes and second I did not want to have to deal with priming the oil pump.

The hardest part here was dealing with the crankcase bolt which is in a tricky spot. Those of you who have done this know what I mean. :) Removing it is not so bad, it is the getting it back in. I ended us using a needle nose pliers to line it up and then one finger to start turning it.

The filter was also a pain.. I tried three different filter wrenches to no avail and finally only got it off using a pliers\clamping style wrench. Replace by putting a bead of fresh oil on new filter and only put back on hand tight. Refill was 2qts total. Remember to clean any metal particles of the plugs.

Trans Oil Change

Both the transmission drain and fill plugs are 16mm. Be sure you can remove fill plug before you drain. I was a little concerned at first as it seemed to me I did not drain no where near as much as I put in which was 1qt. To refill I used a funnel with a long bendable end. Pour slowly. It took the entire qt.

Front Diff Change

The drain plug for the front diff is 7/16 nut and the fill plug is a 5/16 allen. My model calls for 5oz refill. I wasn't confident measuring that out accurately using the bottle given how I have read how crucial the fluid amount is, so I poured about 6oz into a plastic measuring cup compensating for about an 1oz due to leftover and spillage. Used the same funnel with long bendable end to refill.

I also greased the few zerks I have.. seemed to mostly be a sealed system for this generation.

Well that's about it.. hope this helps!

old polaris tech 10-23-2015 11:34 PM

Good post on fluid changes,but can save you some trouble on the next one.Drain the oil tank,leave the old filter on, crank the engine for 10 seconds and kill it. The 8 ounces of sump oil will drain into the tank and out into the drain pan.Then you can change the filter and add fresh oil.Saves you from having to fight the hard to reach sump plug.Plus cheap filter pliers works good on the Fugi engines.

AZRocks 11-03-2015 02:44 PM

Truly, OPT? Nice tip! Does the oil pump need to be primed if you do this?

Speaking of it, how critical is it to remove the lower oil tank hose and screen fitting for cleaning? I've skipped that step. 2008 500 EFI X2.

thx

old polaris tech 11-03-2015 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by AZRocks (Post 3305764)
Truly, OPT? Nice tip! Does the oil pump need to be primed if you do this?

Speaking of it, how critical is it to remove the lower oil tank hose and screen fitting for cleaning? I've skipped that step. 2008 500 EFI X2.

thx

Doesn't have to be pinched off and primed but some people do. As far as pulling the line and cleaning the screen,9 out of 10 times if you pull the screen it will be clean as a whistle. When you do pull the line from the tank the manual does say to pinch off the vent line,run for a couple minutes and kill the engine. You should hear a hiss of air from the tank after you release the pliers meaning the oil pump's primed.