ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   2005 Polaris 800 Sportsman (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/365962-2005-polaris-800-sportsman.html)

canampolaris 11-11-2015 05:46 PM

2005 Polaris 800 Sportsman

Can someone please advise me on what to do? My speedometer has not worked since I bought this machine used and the mileage wouldn't display. Taking the advise from this sight, I gambled and replaced the hall effect sensor. Beautiful, my speedo now works, but the mileage display just shows 99999. I was hoping that would fix the display problem. Do I need to re-set something? And how?

old polaris tech 11-11-2015 06:09 PM

Only thing I can think of is to pull the main speedo harness for a couple minute and hook back up. If that doesn't help,could be an internal speedo problem. People have torn them apart,but most people aren't that brave or have the patience.Here's one member that was.AWD and Speedometer don't work - Page 2 - ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

canampolaris 11-13-2015 03:48 PM

Thanks for the reply, I tried what you recommended but had no luck. I tried speedo on a buddies machine and it displayed the same. It is obviously an internal speedo problem as you said. Not sure I want to risk completely destroying gauge taking it apart, what could be done inside to repair it?

old polaris tech 11-13-2015 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Supposedly it's these items that need to be replaced.KA7OEI's blog: Repair of the speedometer on a Polaris Sportsman 500 4-wheeler

canampolaris 12-02-2015 10:55 AM

Hello, I have another question. I have greased every fitting I can find on the machine but it still squeeks really bad and appears to be coming from the steering. I have sprayed penetrating fluid in below handle bars but I can't get it to go away. Is there a grease nipple I just cant see? Thanks

stendori 12-02-2015 11:02 AM

i think it's a nylon bushing and i do not think there is a grease zerk if memory serve. i used some spray grease on my 06' 800 that had the same issue.

canampolaris 12-02-2015 12:21 PM

Thanks for the reply, I have it jacked up now and sprayed the crap out of it, hope it seeps down to where that annoying sqeek is. I can't find any way to grease it without dis-assembling

old polaris tech 12-02-2015 03:09 PM

Look close right up against where the steering post mounts to the frame. Has the same bushing part numbers used on the old Sportsman 500,but can't remember if the grease fitting is still on the the 700. If it's not,the frame may have the indention for adding a zerk fitting. The bushings have a hole right up against the frame to accept grease. Here's the breakdown on the older Sportsman 500.Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse

canampolaris 12-02-2015 06:48 PM

Thanks, you are correct once again! Found the indent with no nipple there