ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Changing gas tank, need help (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/366231-changing-gas-tank-need-help.html)

Yekrats 12-11-2015 08:21 AM

Changing gas tank, need help

I'm working on changing out the gas tank on my 2004 Sportsman 600, and I'm having a problem with the main body panel. Everything is disconnected at this point, but I need to fully remove the panel to be able to get the tank out. I've removed all the bolts, but I need to get it around the handle bars/headlight assembly. Removing the small panel on the front didn't leave enough room to get it around everything. Is there a trick to getting everything off, or will I need to remove the assembly?

old polaris tech 12-11-2015 09:48 AM

You don't have to fully to remove the front cab to change tanks for most of them,just have it lifted high enough. If you have to remove the cab just pull it up,turn the cab side ways,work one side off the bar end,slide it over enough to get the other bar end through and then remove the cab out of the way.

m2cyclone 12-17-2015 07:30 AM

I've found it easiest to remove the headlight bucket and then turn it like opt states.
This allows you to pick the cab up further to help with the fender flares clearer the frame when you turn it.

Yekrats 03-26-2016 02:29 PM

The gas tank I've put on have the fittings already in it. Do I save this washer/fitting, or it something I'm going to have to destroy getting off and replace?

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/atvconn...c613bb1da.jpeg

Yekrats 03-26-2016 02:54 PM

And to get the metal fitting out do I just yank hard as hell, or am I supposed to be changing the lines?

old polaris tech 03-26-2016 02:55 PM

Chunk it. Pull it off the fitting.Hard to reuse old tank fuel grommets any way. Forgot which models were involved,but had to change out a bunch of them because of leaking. Newer ones I replaced were orange. Not sure if they went back to black ones since then.Easier if you use a dab of grease around the metal fitting when installing it in the grommet. On some I inserted the fitting part way into the grommet and pushed the grommet into the tank,then fully seated the fitting.What ever works best for you.

Yekrats 03-26-2016 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3320277)
Chunk it. Pull it off the fitting.Hard to reuse old tank fuel grommets any way. Forgot which models were involved,but had to change out a bunch of them because of leaking. Newer ones I replaced were orange. Not sure if they went back to black ones since then.Easier if you use a dab of grease around the metal fitting when installing it in the grommet. On some I inserted the fitting part way into the grommet and pushed the grommet into the tank,then fully seated the fitting.What ever works best for you.

Thanks, looks like the fittings are different on the new tank anyway. They're already on the tank, by have a hex on the outside. Don't know the the fittings would work on the tank/ line anyway. Need to get the fttings off the lines first.

Yekrats 03-26-2016 03:06 PM

And what's the trick to getting the old fittings out of the damn fuel lines?

old polaris tech 03-26-2016 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Yekrats (Post 3320281)
Thanks, looks like the fittings are different on the new tank anyway. They're already on the tank, by have a hex on the outside. Don't know the the fittings would work on the tank/ line anyway. Need to get the fttings off the lines first.

Makes sense on having new fittings along with the new grommets in the new tank as you'd probably be cussing and fighting getting the old fittings in place.

Yekrats 03-26-2016 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3320284)
Makes sense on having new fittings along with the new grommets in the new tank as you'd probably be cussing and fighting getting the old fittings in place.

Tank came with fittings already installed. Yanking the lines out of the old tank, the fittings stated in the lines . Now I'm having problems getting the old fittings out of the lines.