Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2nd fuel line coming from top right side of carb?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2015, 04:22 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd fuel line coming from top right side of carb?

OPT or anyone else,

Here I am again with yet another Polaris project I'm trying to save from the scrap heap.

This one is a Sportsman 500 RSE 1998.

I found so many things jerry-rigged, it wasn't even funny. Many that I think took more effort than buying the proper replacement part..........but I can complain about that all day.

I've got most sorted, but am a little stumped on this extra fuel line.

The dumb-dumbs instead of simply replaced the 3-way fuel valve for $15, they cut, plugged lines with bolts, etc and added a regular universal 2 way valve between the main tank line and the carb. Just plugged the reserve line with a bolt.......ugh.

Anyhow, I've got a new 3-way coming and all lines sorted out as to what goes were with the exception of the line which is connected to the upper right side of the carb if you are sitting on the ATV looking fwd. I attached a pic. The other end was plugged with a bolt/clamp.

Where would that line connect?

I have the gas tank main and reserve line going to the 3-way valve, the outlet of the 3-way valve going to the inlet of the carb on the lower left side, and the vent/return line (seen in the pic) appears to be correct so I haven't touched them.

Thanks for you assistance once again.

Attached Thumbnails 2nd fuel line coming from top right side of carb?-img_20151219_165403025.jpg  
Old 12-19-2015, 04:28 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Right side of the carb is the vacuum line leading to the fuel pump marked "P" Look at #2,3,4. Dirt Cheap Yamaha, Polaris, Suzuki & Kawasaki OEM Parts & Accessories – Cycle Parts Warehouse #3 into the fuel pump comes from the fuel valve. #20 is the fuel valve with the two lines from the tank,plus the nipple at the rear that has the line for the fuel pump inlet(top line of the fuel pump)http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...1998&fveh=5461

Old 12-19-2015, 04:47 PM
Range Rover

Well, crud.....guess I don't have them figured out after all....lol. "Engine Mounting" I would have never looked there. I did look at the microfiche for the carb which didn't help me. I need to go have another look at the ATV now....standby

Old 12-19-2015, 04:53 PM
Range Rover

Well, that explains a lot. Previous owner had bypassed the fuel pump and had the main line direct gravity feeding the carb. No wonder it was running so bad. I do not see a fuel pump on this machine. Where about would it be mounted? The Microfiche doesn't show it. I think I have a PDf file of the maintenance book. I'll do some digging in there. Days like this I wish I still had one of the other Polaris's to compare.

http://www.cyclepartswarehouse.com/f...ion_detail.asp

1998 Polaris SPORTSMAN 500 (W98CH50A) Engine Mounting B | MRCycles

Old 12-19-2015, 05:07 PM
Range Rover

Okay, I see where the fuel pump is supposed to be and what a surprise, it's not even there. Boy, sometimes I kick myself for getting these jerry-rigged things from other people....oh well. Pump is now on order for $12.99. I'll have to figure out the fuel line puzzle once I get all parts on hand by next weekend (with the holidays happening).

Thanks OPT.

Old 12-19-2015, 05:16 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by raenglehart
Okay, I see where the fuel pump is supposed to be and what a surprise, it's not even there. Boy, sometimes I kick myself for getting these jerry-rigged things from other people....oh well. Pump is now on order for $12.99. I'll have to figure out the fuel line puzzle once I get all parts on hand by next weekend (with the holidays happening).

Thanks OPT.
What Forrest Gumps' momma said about "life is a box of chocolates,you never know what you're gonna get". So true..Applies to used atvs also Not hard on figuring out the fuel pump hook up. Just holler if you need help..

Old 12-19-2015, 05:18 PM
Range Rover

Ain't that the truth. It'll be next weekend by the time I get all parts ordered and get back into town after our short Christmas trip.

Merry Christmas to you and yours OPT.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:20 AM
Range Rover

Sorry for the long delay in getting back to this one OPT. I ended up having to do a head gasket on this pig too, so I forgot to get back on here to update the post. Head gasket all done and no real surprises there thank goodness. I did find the rear brake line was disconnected and the 4-way was plugged with a bolt....wtfalker?! Fixed that too and rebuilt the rear caliper so it works now. Anyhow, I installed the fuel pump, new shutoff valve and corrected all fuel & vacuum lines. She fires right up and seems to be running great (sitting in the garage anyhow). I started to put everything back together and for the life of me I cannot get the dang fuel tank back in place which is needed before I can put the plastics, etc back on. It seems like the fuel tank got bigger from sitting on the garage floor.....lol Correct em if I'm wrong, but doesn't the front 2 tabs coming off the tank go into the slots on the framework? If that is the case, I cannot get the right side tab to align with the hole because the right side of the tank is already pressing against the frame rail preventing me from moving it maybe 1/4" more it needs to get into place. I have been fighting that for the better part of 2 days now. All I can think is I'm going to have to recruit some assistance to muscle it into place, but I wouldn't think it would be a good thing for the tank to be pressed against the frame because of vibration/chafing issues that would result. If anyone has a photo or can take a photo for me I'd appreciate it. Also, Does the fuel pump mount to the inside of the frame rail or the outside? I have it on the inside as that seems to make the most sense with how the fuel/vacuum lines run, but that may be interfering with the tank install as well. Looking at the microfiche it looks like I may have that wrong. Think I'm going to swap it over to the outside of the frame rail and see if that helps. More to come.

Old 01-31-2016, 10:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Years ago on the first one I pulled off,wasn't paying attention and tried to do the same thing as these were the new generation of tanks.Found out real quick on this. The tab doesn't go into the slot even though it looks like it should. Lift the tank up,tilt the front down and have the tabs go under the slot area. Then the tank will set right down.. Also easier to mount the fuel pump before everything's back on. Mounts on the outside of the frame. Two of the pump bolts are used in mounting to the frame.

Attached Thumbnails 2nd fuel line coming from top right side of carb?-img_0744.jpg  
Old 01-31-2016, 12:53 PM
Range Rover

Got it in OPT. One, I had the pump on the wrong side of the frame rail. I'm guessing there may have been 1 too many beers that day......lol. Now that you mention it, this was the first year of the tank redesign. I used to have a 90 trail boss and a 97 Sportsman (both neglected projects of course). and the tanks tabs did go into the slots. So, that is all back together now. I appreciate the help. I have one more things to sort out on this thing before putting it completely back together, but suppose I should start a new thread on it if I can't find the answer on my own. I hate to clog up forum threads with questions if the answer had already been posted on the forum or elsewhere. Thanks again buddy. You definitely know your Polaris stuff!

Quick Reply: 2nd fuel line coming from top right side of carb?