Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Whine and Clunk Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whine and Clunk Noise

Hey all, just picked u pa 2012 Sportsman 500 with only 340 miles and 39 hours. I noticed on acceleration under 20mph the front end makes a whining noise. I have heard this is normal but wasn't sure since my 2006 Sportsman 500 doesn't have this behavior. Video below. There is also a clunk noise when turning which you can hear at the end of the video. Thoughts? I plan to replace all the fluids here in a few days, but wanted to post up to see if there is potentially something wrong or if I am just being paranoid.

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2016, 02:47 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

No you're not being paranoid.Shouldn't be whining as loud as this,but will agree whining is more noticeable on asphalt, pavement,hard pack roads on some models at low speeds when you let off the throttle. Yes change the Demand Drive fluid in the front diff along with other services needed and see if it quietens down any. The wind noise was high couldn't hear the clunk,but know what you're talking about. When you turn plunging joints on the rear drive shafts are the main cause of this. The bearings ride up and down channels in this joint and can clunk or make a clacking type noise when they're either compressed or the joint is extended when turning.This is normal up to a certain point.. Once a drive shaft starts making noise constantly,time to address the problem and usually that's replacement as channels can get wallowed out. Check for any obvious tears/rips in the boots and even remove the boot band if you wish to see if the joints are well greased.If the speedo is correct as you say,there shouldn't be too much wrong if any with this low mileage/low hour machine.