Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

97 Sportsman 400L

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2016, 10:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Sportsman 400L

So, I had someone make me an offer I couldn't refuse for my little 99 Xplorer 300 that I picked up this winter and went through. It was a good little machine and a blast to drive. I got it for almost nothing and rebuilt the engine and fixed a few small things to make it like new. I let one of my fellow campers ride it on a trail ride a couple weeks ago and since then, they kept bugging me about selling it. Sunday came and they showed up with cash and I made the decision to let it go to a new family. Two days later I drug home another "cheap" two stroke, lol.

An older gentleman called me because he found out I like tinkering with older four wheelers in my spare time and asked if I would be interested in his 1997 Sportsman 400L. He owned a campground and bought this machine when it was only 2 years old and only used it for errands around the campground and deer hunting. Was always garaged and still has the original tires on it. He stuck a ton of money in it within the last year such as a top end, head and gasket, crank seals, waterpump seals and a battery. He didnt use it this summer up until a month ago when he decided to get it out of the garage and found it had a flat front tire, the starter wouldnt work and he couldnt get it to start with the recoil. He decided to give up on the old machine and went out and bought one of those darn green things called a Gator, lol. He found out I was looking for another machine so he called me up.

The issues that he had were pretty easily fixed. I pulled the front tire off and cleaned the bead and put a new valve stem in and aired it up with no leaks. I charged the battery and it is fine, but unfortunately, the starter wont turn over. Tested the solenoid and that was ok so it looks like I have to pull the starter. Good thing is, he gave me a brand new in the box starter that he had bought but didnt want to wrestle to install. The not starting issue with the recoil is from a dirty carb. I cleaned it up today and it pops right off now. I ordered a carb kit for it so it should be good to go. I can see why he had such a hard time trying to start this machine with the recoil. I forgot how much compression these 400's had when they had a good top end in them. My Xplorer 400 always starts with the starter so I never use the recoil and pulling this one a few times tuckered me right out, lol.

The only issues I have to address is even though the AWD works, the light on the switch does not light up. I know it is the little bulb, but I was under the impression that if the light didnt light, the AWD would not engage. I checked the wires with a test light and I have power coming into the switch and power going out when the switch is pushed to engage the AWD. Second, is there another source for the low beam bulbs on these things? I looked around but cant find these aftermarket and the polaris ones are SPENDY! Lastly, the indicator lights on this machine do not work for the high beam, neutral and reverse. Is this just miniture bulbs or does the whole indicator have to be replaced like the newer models?

Well, as you can see, most of my problems on this machine are bulb or electrical related. I basically got this machine for a few hundred bucks and besides some small parts and some paint to make the racks look nice, this machine will look nice in my collection of old two strokes.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 08-11-2016, 07:18 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

On 94 models they changed the wiring up to where even if the awd bulb was burnt the awd would still function. Crazy the way they had it before. Yes the little low beam bulbs are expensive. Might be cheaper in the long run to find a pair of low beam lights with a more readily available bulb or just find some led lights. The indicator lights are funky little glass tube bulbs. And they're not cheap either.New Polaris Indicator Dash Pilot Light Bulb 4030042 Big Boss 400L Sportsman | eBay On these you might check auto stores and see if they can be matched up.They do have these bulbs a little cheaper at Partzilla for $2.56. http://www.partzilla.com/parts/detai...P-4030042.html

Last edited by old polaris tech; 08-11-2016 at 07:29 AM. Reason: bulbs..
Old 08-12-2016, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider

I did almost the same thing, bought a 96 Sportsman 400l cheap with low miles. It was a zippy little bike, but the exhaust got so hot, it would catch the plastics on fire! Finally figured out that the muffler was plugged, that fixed that issue. The best thing I did , was sell it for $1,600 and took the money and bought another Arctic Cat for $1,400, a 2002 400 FIS. AC has way more power, and is as reliable as a Camry. Love the ground clearance and manual trans of the AC. One thing, if it starts to give trouble shifting= check the swing arm bushings, yup, swear to God, when those bushings wear out, the transmission won't go into either Fwd or Rev! I made bronze ones, as the plastic oem ones were crap. Expect at least 1 chain to be wearing out, I sprayed the dry lube after every ride, didn't matter. Also use only injection oil, not premix oil in the injection system. If you use premix in the tank, expect to foul plugs and plug the muffler. Previous owner disabled the injection and ran premix.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys,

I tried cross referencing these bulbs in my Wagner catalog but had no luck so it looks like a trip to the expensive dealership for some bulbs. You would think that everything else on these old polaris two strokes are available cheaply in the aftermarket that someone would have started offering bulbs for them, lol.

I've started cleaning this old sportsman up and she is looking real good and runs really strong. Its always a dilemma once I get them done because I really want them to be a part of my collection and I have a hard time choosing which one to ride every weekend. If I could, I would keep every one but my wife has other thoughts than a growing atv collection. I just have to keep reminding her that I'm not collecting old muscle cars and antique tractors anymore like when we first met so this hobby is cheaper, lol.

Thanks,
Mike