Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris faces lawsuit for melting plastic!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 03:52 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris faces lawsuit for melting plastic!

Polaris Faces Lawsuit over ATV Safety Concerns | KSTP.com

For all who suffer with the hot exhaust melting your panels and warping your seat.

Old 10-08-2016, 05:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A lawsuit seems a bit much. A recall would seem to better describe it. A 6 month manufacturer's warranty that was mentioned in the story is a complete joke though. Though this has nothing to do with your warranty, its a manufacturing defect. Still, for what most of the new atvs and side by sides especially cost, at least a 2 year warranty should be the minimum on any of them for no extra charge. If you don't ride that much, it might be more than 6 months before you even notice there's a problem. Perhaps give it an hours or mileage limitation option instead of time.

Old 10-08-2016, 07:26 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Something will come of it since it's a class action law suit.Lot of people have to get the ball rolling on this. Same thing that happened to Ford on their plastic intake manifolds on Crown Vics and Thunderbirds with the 4.6. I had to replace the one on the wife's car at an independent shop,saw the class action law suit later and Ford reimbursed me for my costs. Didn't really matter as the improved intake on the 4.6 v8 cracked again at the same spot right before we got rid of it.. Plus it was the first and only Ford we ever owned. I'll stick with GM even they're not the best thing around either..

Old 10-08-2016, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider

I hope Polaris solves the heat issues, I want an 850 next.

In the end, the consumer will pay their share.

Old 10-10-2016, 10:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm sure Polaris has had THOUSANDS of complaints about the melting issues over years. You have to ask "why" they wouldn't have addressed it by now to protect their image?

As for the Ford plastic intake, if you want a REALLY good reliable car that a solid manufacturer stands behind every model it sells new, buy a Subaru. What a fantastic reliable car!

Old 10-11-2016, 07:33 AM
Pro Rider

My 96 Sportsman nearly caught fire at the worst possible place, about 10 miles into deep woods in very dry conditions. Incredibly lucky that I brought a gallon of drinking water along on my Arctic Cat. So from 1996 until 2016, still haven't figured it out.... I feel like OPT does towards Ford, never own another Ford or Polaris!

Old 10-11-2016, 07:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've owned a couple Ford trucks. One was an old beater f250 that I paid $600 for and lasted about a year before the engine blew up. The other was an F150 but it was before the 4.6 too, had the efi 5.0 and was an ok truck. Very underpowered and got horrible gas mileage. But it was pretty cheap too and got the job done. Brakes were marginal at best. My Silverado gets slightly better mileage and has a lot more power. GM has had their problems recently for sure. I'm not sure I'd buy a new Silverado, I hate the cylinder deactivation. New Ram trucks use it too. It really doesn't add much fuel economy but it does speed up engine wear. If I bought a new truck, I'd probably get a Toyota Tundra. They're all so freaking expensive though.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:54 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

I even like the new smaller trucks like the Tacoma,but sticker price on them just makes me walk away too.. Being retired and new vehicle prices is like trying to mix oil and water,ain't gonna happen. I'll keep the old truck as a back up when the wife and I decide on a getting another vehicle,may settle for another good low mileage used suv or car.

Old 10-11-2016, 08:57 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 164 Likes on 163 Posts

The same people always benefit from a class action suit. The lawyers.

Old 10-11-2016, 09:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have 2 vehicles myself. The truck is for when I need a truck for hauling or towing stuff. I have a car for for when I don't need to do any of that that gets much better fuel economy and is more comfortable on long trips. But yes, 40K or more for a new 4x4 truck is more than I could spend. You can buy a decent used truck for about 5K that will get the job done. It might have a little rust and maybe a few scratches or dings. I'd hate to take a new truck to some of the places I take mine. I'd be worried about getting scratches or getting it dirty. With an older truck, no need to worry about that stuff.

Quick Reply: Polaris faces lawsuit for melting plastic!