Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 sportsman 500 X2 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2016, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the clutch to free up today. I took it into my shop and blew it out good and cleaned it up with some brake cleaner. Gave it a whack with my runner mallet and the clutch snapped back where it was supposed to be. It was really stiff and wouldn't work freely so I took it apart as far as I could without having to remove the spider and cleaned everything up. Got it to move freely and easily by blowing it out and hitting it with more brake clean. It shined up good and a lot of gunk came out of it. Put it back together and it works smoothly for now. Guess thats what happens when a family of mice decide to take up residence inside the clutch. I will give it a test ride tomorrow to see how it does and hopefully it works ok or I will have to buck up and rebuild the clutch.

Had a few check engine codes on this machine but they cleared out after I unhooked the battery so they may have just been random codes from the battery having low voltage from sitting. Only thing left to try and address on this machine is the flashing fuel gauge that it seems a lot of people complain about. Might be a bad float or a bad wire but really didn't see anything when I looked it over. There is one wire and plug that is coming up to the speedometer housing that I don't know where it should go. It a three wire plug with a straight white plug on it. Couldn't find anything in the manual on it so maybe it was just there for some type of accessories like hand grip or thumb warmers.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-11-2016, 08:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

The three plug connector was an assembly line check plug to test the spedo,etc. We always crammed them up into the pod area when we uncrated them but some would always fall out. We'd get calls on this plug and people would even bring them in thinking something was disconnected.. Codes usually clear with a new battery. On the fuel gauge if it flashes low fuel and the tank is full or close to it,then the float on the wire arm is either touching the side of the tank or saturated. Here's a place to get a new float since Polaris doesn't offer one.FUEL GAUGE SENDING UNIT FLOAT - Polaris ATV - X2, Sportsman 500, 700, 800, Can-Am Renegade - DJSFLOAT Read the comments and reviews on this..

Old 10-11-2016, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks OPT,

That's good to know about that float on the sending unit. I was going to see if I could grab it somehow and move it to see if it changed on the gauge. If it is the float, this sure is a cheaper option than replacing the while sending unit.

Thanks,
Mike