Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2007 sportsman 500 X2 clutch

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2016, 01:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 sportsman 500 X2 clutch

I just picked up a 2007 sportsman 500 X2 this morning. Fuel injected, runs like a top, new Kenda Executioner tires with the fancy polaris aluminum rims and has a nice polaris winch on it. Kinda high miles but I got it at a really good price. The guy said it needed a primary clutch replacement or the clutch rebuilt. If you try to put it in gear, it dies right away if you hold the brake. If you put it in gear without the brake it takes off and drives normally until you stop and hold the brake. It is like the clutch isn't releasing. I haven't pulled it off yet or took the cover to watch it work, but what should I look for? I am thinking the clutch isn't releasing all the way and is tight on the belt. For what I paid for this machine, I could part it out and double my money, but if I can clean up this clutch issue, I'm gonna have a nice looking little machine for very little money.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-08-2016, 01:26 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Brass washer and fiber washer probably worn in the front clutch one way plus the rear clutch may need to be checked for alignment with the front. Worn washers allows the one way to move side to side and the belt can move over and touch the inside of the drive clutch sheath.This causes the belt to put pressure on the rear clutch making it hard to shift,machines can creep and lurch. Usually they shift gears fine after the engine is off. You can try a new belt if it's worn or glazed,blow out the clutch dust and see if that helps. If not the drive clutch needs to be taken apart and the one way washers and any other items such as guide buttons need to be looked at and replaced. See if this post from a few years back helps as the same thing that happened to another member.https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...-creeping.html You particular model one way uses a Vespel washer on each side. The older models used fiber and brass.http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polaris-7556...VVwCWu&vxp=mtr

Last edited by old polaris tech; 10-08-2016 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Vespel washers
Old 10-09-2016, 10:14 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT,
I am going to pull the clutch and check it out but I will look at the alignment and check for motor mount issues before hand to rule that out. Is the clutch rebuild something I can do with normal tools or are there special tools required? I'm not afraid to tear into it if need be, but aside from the clutch puller tool for the drive clutch, that is the extent of my specialty tools, lol.

Another question, how to I check "check engine" codes on this machine? I have a light on that says "check engine" and I see a diagnostic plug on the speedometer housing. The engine runs fine, starts easily and runs out nice so I'm not sure there is a problem. I know it is in dire need of a tune up like an air filter and plug, but runs great regardless.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-09-2016, 11:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Need a spider tool to separate the clutch to replace the one way washers,guide buttons,etc.Polaris Spider Clutch Tool 95 06 Magnum 325 330 4425 500 3x4 4x4 Freedom RMK 6x6 | eBay Some have made their own. Efi machines I'd certainly get the manual. Has the code chart,how to reset the speedo,etc.2007 Polaris Sportsman X2 500 EFI Service Manual PDF Download

Old 10-09-2016, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT,
That looks easy enough to make. Might just do that just to have the tool around when I need it.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-09-2016, 01:05 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Tool is fairly easy to make but the spider is torqued down to 200 foot pounds. The clutch holding tool is really needed also. You can either buy one that's a little pricey 725-280 - Polaris Clutch Holding Tool | ATV Parts | MFG Supply Or do as some have and make your own.

Attached Thumbnails 2007 sportsman 500 X2 clutch-holding-fixture.jpg  
Old 10-09-2016, 06:51 PM
Pro Rider

Making the holder may be a little more tough. There is a guy who has a shop by me who will pull them apart and put them back together with his tool for 20 bucks so I may go that route.

Took the clutch off today. Both clutches were lined up right and no play in any of the motor or trans mounts. The drive clutch was compressed about a half inch and wouldn't budge either way. You could tell the clutch was not used and very dirty from sitting for some time but the part of the clutch that was exposed from being compressed was shiny so it must have recently been stuck after sitting for some time. I will try a good cleaning and see where it gets me. Worst that can happen is I invest in rebuilding it if it doesn't free up.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 10-09-2016, 08:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Hope the cleaning frees it up. 20 bucks ain't bad though if you have to split it. Keep him as a friend..

Old 10-09-2016, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

He is a Honda guy. He was a mechanic at the Honda store when the Honda dealer in town folded up so he started his own shop mainly working on Honda bikes and other brands of snowmobiles. He hates polaris anything but has to work on the clutches so he does them cheap if someone wants to have one split and put their own parts in. Cheap enough that I don't have to buy the tools so I won't complain if a Honda guy has to work on my polaris, lol.

Old 10-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Most of us Polaris guys didn't like working on Hondas either. Especially if one came in with problems on their electric shifting that many had..

Quick Reply: 2007 sportsman 500 X2 clutch