Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Loosing power when fan comes on polaris 400 !HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 07:23 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loosing power when fan comes on polaris 400 !HELP!

New here having problems and can't figure it out. Recently rebuilt motor and put on new frame. The motor is out of my 96 Polaris sport 400l that I put on a 98 sport 400 frame. Runs good until the fan kicks on then it starts missing and running like crap. Try to give it throttle and it just bogs and will backfire like it's loosing power turning the fan on . My father n law is thinking it's a problem with the charging system. Maybe the stator. I was wondering if not having a battery in it would affect it. He thinks that everything should work without the battery that's why it has the stator but im thinking if it had a good battery in it when the fan came on it would run fine. Any help would be appreciated before I have to change out the stator.

Last edited by Neil915; 03-10-2018 at 07:26 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:10 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If it was mine I'd just put a new battery in and see if it still does it. I think you need one to run the fan and lights.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

That kinda what I was thinking but the lights work without the battery. Brighten and dim depending on how much throttle but they're on. But when fan comes on light dims and atv wants to die.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by jumbofrank
If it was mine I'd just put a new battery in and see if it still does it. I think you need one to run the fan and lights.
I'm stuck between buying a battery or changing stator

Old 03-10-2018, 08:17 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Neil915
New here having problems and can't figure it out. Recently rebuilt motor and put on new frame. The motor is out of my 96 Polaris sport 400l that I put on a 98 sport 400 frame. Runs good until the fan kicks on then it starts missing and running like crap. Try to give it throttle and it just bogs and will backfire like it's loosing power turning the fan on . My father n law is thinking it's a problem with the charging system. Maybe the stator. I was wondering if not having a battery in it would affect it. He thinks that everything should work without the battery that's why it has the stator but im thinking if it had a good battery in it when the fan came on it would run fine. Any help would be appreciated before I have to change out the stator.
First off load test the battery as that may be where part of the problem lies. The ignition isn't dependent on the battery(magneto triggered),but the fan,lights,etc has to have one for them to work along with a good regulator rectifier. Check that it's charging 14 volts or so a little above an idle.If it's not or just showing battery voltage, the regulator could be faulty and they have been know to screw up a cdi. Cdi provides spark to the coil plus controls ignition advances.Faulty regulator could be interfering with it. Plus pull the black wire from the reverse limiter module. This was one of the most common modules to fail and it could limit in forward not just reverse if it fails.Usually located next to the regulator(#32). Plus might not be bad idea to bleed the screw on the top of the head to remove any trapped air pockets.This can cause an engine to over heat real quick whether the fan kicks on or not.

Attached Thumbnails Loosing power when fan comes on polaris 400 !HELP!-022d15ef09c0d450bc14ff470d739055b372a892.png  
Old 03-10-2018, 08:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
First off load test the battery as that may be where part of the problem lies. The ignition isn't dependent on the battery(magneto triggered),but the fan,lights,etc has to have one for them to work along with a good regulator rectifier. Check that it's charging 14 volts or so a little above an idle.If it's not or just showing battery voltage, the regulator could be faulty and they have been know to screw up a cdi. Cdi provides spark to the coil plus controls ignition advances.Faulty regulator could be interfering with it. Plus pull the black wire from the reverse limiter module. This was one of the most common modules to fail and it could limit in forward not just reverse if it fails.Usually located next to the regulator(#32). Plus might not be bad idea to bleed the screw on the top of the head to remove any trapped air pockets.This can cause an engine to over heat real quick whether the fan kicks on or not.
alright thank you for all the info. Looks like I'll head out in the morning get a battery and try it out first and go from there since I don't have a good battery around here. Wish this damn headache would be done already 🙃

Old 03-10-2018, 08:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

By all means has to have that battery if you've been running without one..Make sure after installation that at an idle or above it's charging properly.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

By all means has to have that battery if you've been running without one..Make sure after installation that at an idle or above it's charging properly.
alright. Again thank you for the info. Think I'm having trouble figuring it out cause before the rebuild when I had the 96 motor on original frame it didn't have a battery. The way I bought was no battery and no lights worked the fan didn't work or nothing. Strictly motor ran and that was it. Nothing electrical but it ran good. Makes sense now that I think of it didn't need a battery to run stuff cause nothing worked 🤣

Old 03-10-2018, 08:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You're not the only one that has been confused by this over the years. The only good part about this older magneto triggered ignition is that you could at least start it with the recoil starter if the battery was dead or damaged somehow. That could possibly get you back to camp,etc before it over heated,blew out the bulbs,etc.. On the later model dci ignition systems if the battery goes dead or damaged you're stuck right where you are until you get a replacement.

Old 03-10-2018, 08:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

You're not the only one that has been confused by this over the years. The only good part about this older magneto triggered ignition is that you could at least start it with the recoil starter if the battery was dead or damaged somehow. That could possibly get you back to camp,etc before it over heated,blew out the bulbs,etc.. On the later model dci ignition systems if the battery goes dead or damaged you're stuck right where you are until you get a replacement.
Right on. I should've got on here a long time ago. Ask the experts haha. I know where to go now!

Quick Reply: Loosing power when fan comes on polaris 400 !HELP!