Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1997 Sportsman - No Brakes, cannot bleed rear caliper

Old 03-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If it's a new master cylinder and new caliper piston seals,I still can't stop thinking about the mechanical part of this caliper also.Possible it may be cracked,but I do know if the mechanical parts aren't working right it's hard for the hydraulic system to work right also. Can you use the mechanical brake to push the caliper piston at all? If not the problem may be there. I hated this caliper myself.

Old 03-13-2017, 09:46 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had a chance to mess with the brakes for a little while but hopefully I can find some time this weekend. I can't recall if the mechanical brake moves the piston or not. If I remember correctly it will barely move the caliper.

If it is the mechanical brake that isn't working can I replace just the mechanical piece? I can't get the whole new caliper either online or locally (it's discontinued).

Also, how tight should the bolt that connects the arm to the caliper body be? The one that the arm pivots on? Should it be tightened down as far as it will go?

Old 03-13-2017, 11:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

That's what I meant earlier about making sure the mechanical portion of the caliper worked also. If it won't push the piston out and lock up the rear brakes,then it needs adjustment. Problem is that you have to be care on the outer allen head adjustment bolt. Left hand threaded bolt. Left to take up play if needed,turn to the right if it's too tight. They have a habit of breaking if you go too far. I'd still make sure all inner parts are correct. Parts and prices are still shown on Partzilla for internal mechanical brake parts,but some may be nla.

Attached Thumbnails 1997 Sportsman - No Brakes, cannot bleed rear caliper-65645e2a963e0bf2df722b48c2af0c01d819be30.png  
Old 03-13-2017, 01:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Most of the parts are still available but 2 or 3 are not. I might have it adjusted wrong. The arm works and moves freely but it will hardly move the piston.

All parts seem to be in a good condition when I took it apart to rebuild it but I might go ahead and replace most of them.

If that doesn't work then I guess I'm going to have to take it to the dealer and have them take a look at it.

Thank you for all your help so far!

Old 03-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

If the adjuster bolt is still available, get one.. Just from experience on these things..

Old 03-20-2017, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior

I was finally able to get the master cylinder to bleed this weekend. I had to replace the plunger so I think the new was bad.

But I still cannot get the rear to bleed (haven't had a chance to order any parts yet).

Could it still be that it is just out of adjustment?

Old 03-20-2017, 09:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Possibly if you can get the manual brake working,you can bleed it also.If the caliper piston is pushed too far in fluid can't get enough space behind the piston to push it out.

Search this Thread