Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 polaris magnum 325

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 06:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 polaris magnum 325

Hey I'm have a problem or what I think is a problem on my atv my four wheel drive or awd seems to be engaging all the time it is still doing it with it jacked up in the air with the switch on or off, if it is unplugged from the handle bar and if it is unplugged from the hubs the front wheel are still spinning. Also I can grab both front wheels and stop them by hand with the awd on. O took the hubs apart and the magnets seem to be grabbinging like they should I think I have a stray voltage problem but have no idea where Iv checked all the grounds and the seem to be good. Does anyone have a idea on what it could be or how to fix it because I'm about out of ideas any help would be great

Old 03-10-2017, 04:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

First thing is to replace the armature plates.They become magnetized and worn over time and cause problems with hubs staying locked in.

Old 03-10-2017, 09:10 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
First thing is to replace the armature plates.They become magnetized and worn over time and cause problems with hubs staying locked in.
Ok that I can understand but if there locked in I shouldn't be able to stop the front wheels like I can

Old 03-10-2017, 10:44 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

In the air you can have an engagement of the front wheels whether in awd or not.The important thing is that you can stop the tires from turning when the awd is off. Awd engaged you shouldn't be able to stop rotation. In the air is just a good test to see if the awd is working properly,on the ground with a load is a different matter.If an armature plate is worn usually you'll have one wheel pull to one side or the other. Back up and usually it unlocks. This can happen on cold days when fluid is cold or armature plate have become magnetized. In awd the fronts shouldn't kick in until the rear wheels slip.Here's a good video another member posted on this.

Old 03-10-2017, 10:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

In the air you can have an engagement of the front wheels whether in awd or not.The important thing is that you can stop the tires from turning when the awd is off. Awd engaged you shouldn't be able to stop rotation. In the air is just a good test to see if the awd is working properly,on the ground with a load is a different matter.If an armature plate is worn usually you'll have one wheel pull to one side or the other. Back up and usually it unlocks. This can happen on cold days when fluid is cold or armature plate have become magnetized. In awd the fronts shouldn't kick in until the rear wheels slip.Here's a good video another member posted on this.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IU5Xyhtebk
Ok so would magnetized armature plates be why the front wheels are spinning even if there should be no power going to the hubs? Iv unplugged the power from the switch and the hubs and they still turn.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Fjdm
Ok so would magnetized armature plates be why the front wheels are spinning even if there should be no power going to the hubs? Iv unplugged the power from the switch and the hubs and they still turn.
In the air you can have a "false" engagement with the awd off,same thing if you cut the power and wheel still turns. This system is electrical/mechanical and the mechanical portion can still allow the wheel to spin when there's no load on it. Again if you can stop the wheel with awd off,no power to the hub coil, no big deal. I've had plenty of these have the front wheels turn in two wheel drive while lifted,but could stop them with my hand.Main thing is how the awd does on the ground. If it pulls to one side with awd off or even on as long as the rear wheels aren't slipping,replace the armature plates.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Weekend Warrior

In the air you can have a "false" engagement with the awd off,same thing if you cut the power and wheel still turns. This system is electrical/mechanical and the mechanical portion can still allow the wheel to spin when there's no load on it. Again if you can stop the wheel with awd off,no power to the hub coil, no big deal. I've had plenty of these have the front wheels turn in two wheel drive while lifted,but could stop them with my hand.Main thing is how the awd does on the ground. If it pulls to one side with awd off or even on as long as the rear wheels aren't slipping,replace the armature plates.
Ok I have the new ones coming and I will try that and I could stop it with the awd on also

Old 03-10-2017, 11:14 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Ok I have the new ones coming and I will try that and I could stop it with the awd on also
Check the face of the coil sleeve where the armature plate rides for any damage or ground down surface. This can cause problems on armature plates grabbing enough to kick in the hilliard in the hub. Also check the resistance between the gray and brown wires leading to the strut coil. Should be around 24 ohms or so.If higher than that the hub coil itself could be weak and need to be replaced. Look at this post from someone that replaced a coil and sleeve. It has good pics that show how the awd works.AWD Hubstrut Hilliard Clutch Troubleshooting/Diagnoses - Polaris ATV Forum

Old 03-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ok so I just had a new problem that I did not expect the reverse speed limiter just blew up in my face while trying to start it

Old 03-10-2017, 12:02 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Ok so I just had a new problem that I did not expect the reverse speed limiter just blew up in my face while trying to start it
Good,you don't need this module anyway. I always advised people to pull the black wire from the limiter to disable it. Now you can have full power in reverse with out having to push the over ride button in.