Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 Polaris Predator 500 help

Old 03-24-2017, 08:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Polaris Predator 500 help

I have a 2003 Polaris Predator 500, Love the machine, nice quick peppy bike, but I am experiencing some minor issues, such as: It seems to be losing oil, checked around, no leaking. And I do not see any blue smoke at all. How would I know if I am actually burning oil? And also, the transmission sometimes locks in first and or second gear, where it is VERY hard to shift up or down. Any ideas? Thanks!

Old 03-24-2017, 10:03 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You could be loosing oil in places you wouldn't expect such as the the sprocket seal,engine cases,etc. Clean the engine up and place a piece of clean card board under it for a day or so. If you find a leak on the card board,follow it up. As far as the shifting make sure you have a fresh oil and filer change.If it still has problems could be a clutch problem,shift cam on the shift drum,the drum itself or even worn shift forks.If you don't have a manual,here's a cheap one that can help,especially if any potion of the engine has to be torn down for any reason.2003 Polaris Predator 500 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 03-24-2017, 10:11 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frame materal

What kind of metal is the 2003 Polaris Predator 500 frame made from? Will riding on Canadian winter roads damage it? Cause any rust to the frame?

Old 03-24-2017, 10:22 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Just a steel frame.Any bare metal exposed to moisture will rust no matter where you are although if exposed to salted areas even more so.That's why I still think some northern people have crappy cars for the winter use to save their good ones from salted roads. At least what I was told by a couple of guys from Minnesota some years ago.