ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   ATV won't start (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/371405-atv-wont-start.html)

AskingHelp1 04-02-2017 06:53 PM

ATV won't start

Hello,

I am mechanically illiterate and therefore thank you in advance for any kindness or help you can provide.

I have not ridden my 2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 for awhile. I tried today. When I turn the key it sounds like the engine is priming, lights come on but when I turn over fully to turn on engine, all I hear is a clicking noise.

Any suggestions on where I can start to trouble shoot and how I could buy applicable parts? I would rather not run it to the dealer if I do not need to . Thanks

old polaris tech 04-02-2017 07:16 PM

Simple things first such as checking connections on the battery,solenoid,etc.Fresh plug may be all there is to it also.Plus have you had the battery on a tender while not in use? If not that could be the reason. Even if you have it on tender and a battery shows 12+ volts doesn't mean the battery is ok. If voltage drops below 9.5-10 volts under a load,a cell could be shorted out. A simple load test on a fully charged battery can tell if it's good or not.

AskingHelp1 04-02-2017 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by old polaris tech (Post 3357106)
Simple things first such as checking connections on the battery,solenoid,etc.Fresh plug may be all there is to it also.Plus have you had the battery on a tender while not in use? If not that could be the reason. Even if you have it on tender and a battery shows 12+ volts doesn't mean the battery is ok. If voltage drops below 9.5-10 volts under a load,a cell could be shorted out. A simple load test on a fully charged battery can tell if it's good or not.

First off, thank you for the quick response. I have not had it on a tender. It has been awhile since I have tried to hook it up to the tender. Is there anywhere online that I can find the idiots guide to both using a battery tender and the actual location of the battery on the atv? I am looking at the user manual and it is not helping me. My memory is failing me and I cannot remember how I did it last time I used the tender.

Kymco 450i 04-02-2017 07:55 PM

The main problem I see here is your not riding it enough! LOL go for a ride every couple days to keep things working properly.

AskingHelp1 04-02-2017 08:21 PM

yes, i agree!

old polaris tech 04-03-2017 01:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by AskingHelp1 (Post 3357109)
First off, thank you for the quick response. I have not had it on a tender. It has been awhile since I have tried to hook it up to the tender. Is there anywhere online that I can find the idiots guide to both using a battery tender and the actual location of the battery on the atv? I am looking at the user manual and it is not helping me. My memory is failing me and I cannot remember how I did it last time I used the tender.

If they haven't changed location,should be at the lower front(plastic cover around it). Just hook up the pig tail lead from the tender and secure it to the frame tube so you can hook up and disconnect a tender easily.

switzomatic 04-07-2017 11:35 PM

Get yourself the tender with the quick-attach leads. Much easier to do it that way and OPT had the right location in his pic. Always keep it on a trickle charger (tender) if you can when stored as it will greatly extend battery life. Also, since it sounds like you don't ride often, use non-oxygenated gas (if available in your area) and add fuel stabilizer to keep it fresh.