Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2000 Trail Boss 325 questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Trail Boss 325 questions

My sister in law and brother in law are looking for a little four stroke machine so I came across a nice clean trail boss 325 that sat in a garage for the last 2 years. Wouldn't run so a new battery and carb kit along with some fresh gas fixed that problem. Now I am just getting it all cleaned up and do a fluid service on it and it's a little different than my 500 as far as oil change goes. How many quarts of oil does this model take? I see it uses the same oil filter so I got a polaris filter ready to go. Is there only the one plug for the oil or is there two like the 500? I know it's oil cooled so I just want to make sure I don't have to drain and fill it differently than my 500 is. Also, the rear chain is a bit loose and does slap a bit when driving. I am used to adjusting the chain on older models where I have to compress the back end but this is a 2000 so it's different. I have all the manuals for most models except this one so I don't have any resources to look at.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 06-29-2017, 10:51 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Takes two quarts same as the 425,500 engines. 6mm drain plug at the bottom of the engine. Fill through the dip stick hole. Adjust the chain tight on this one. You don't have to compress the rear end as after 95 models they went to concentric system. That is the swing arm is even with the gear case sprocket and the swing arm doesn't alter chain tension that much as it moves up and down. I just set them at 3/8" slack at the middle of the chain.Even on the older models I didn't compress the rear end. I just set them basically the same way,didn't have that much of a problem. Most of the time with the compression method the manual calls for you end up with too much slack anyway.

Old 07-03-2017, 10:13 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks OPT,

Changed the oil, tightened the chain and lubed everything up. Ran great all weekend. Easy driving little four stroke and it left my campsite loaded up on their trailer so now I have a little change in my pocket to go look for another two stroke to bring home, lol.

Thanks for your help,
Mike

Old 07-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like you need to quit your day job and turn full time mechanic..

Old 07-05-2017, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

I think my wife would prefer I keep this as a "hobby", lol. I like to tinker so it keeps me out of her hair too.

Mike