Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Looking into Used Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 08:05 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into Used Polaris

Tonight I'm going to go look at an 07 sportsman 700. Quad looks to be in very good shape. The owner has a maintenance log of all the service work done to the machine including all replacement parts, fluid changes, etc. The current owner used to be a polaris tech. He knows his way around these things. Anyhow the atv has 604 hors and 2909 miles. Guy primarily used it to spray fence lines and plow. He also occasionally used it to move farm implements out of their storage shed. ATV comes with a plow and sprayer. Just recently he went through and did full fluid changes, general lube of steering, front and rear suspension, inspected air intake ducts, replaced drive belt, changed oil, replaced fuel filter, replaced plugs, and changed out a ball joint. Is there anything I need to be looking for on this thing other than they typical suspension and frame inspection, fluid check and test ride? He is asking $3700 for it which seems to be fair based on KBB and NADA.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:33 AM
Trailblazer

I'd remove the airbox cover to inspect for mud. Luck. :cowboy:

Old 07-12-2017, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Looks about right for rust and wear for that year with that mileage.

Old 07-12-2017, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

Get some Corroseal primer or other rust converting primer and nip that rust in the bud. Looks to be a fair deal!

Old 07-12-2017, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

Well the 700 came home with me tonight. There are a couple things here and there that I'll take care of but nothing that needs immediate attention. I will probably be looking into new tires before winter comes. I was able to talk him down another $200 and get him to throw in ramps and a sprayer. I've been looking at the Kenda Bear Claw HTRs. All the reviews look to be good. I will probably address the minor rust this weekend. Will use a rust converter on the a arms and paint black. I'm going to take off both bumpers hit them with a disc and coat them in hurculiner.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

Way to go! You should select tires on the kind of terrain that you'll ride on. I put some 27" Outlaw MST's on my Arctic Cat, I would add those to ones to look at, too.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:35 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by hydrex
Way to go! You should select tires on the kind of terrain that you'll ride on. I put some 27" Outlaw MST's on my Arctic Cat, I would add those to ones to look at, too.
Primary use for the vehicle will be hunting (food plots, checking cams, hauling stands and feed, etc.) trail riding with the wife but no serious mudding, and snow plowing.

Old 07-13-2017, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Ride with a few guys that have had the Bearclaws. Pretty good all around tire. Not as good in mud as some of the dedicated mud tires but wear well, and have good manners on hard pack.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:17 AM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by hydrex
Like the look of those MSTs but i have 14" wheels and they don't sell tires to fit.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:21 AM
Trailblazer

Went ahead and hit the rust with some converter. Also pulled off all the rack extenders, bumper and brush guard and coated them in bedliner.