Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 250 flooding

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 02:10 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 250 flooding

1997 Polaris trail boss 250. Top end recently rebuilt. Did a carb kit at the same time. Floods like heck now, was fine before rebuild. I can get it started and running smooth and strong with the fuel petcock off however as soon as I turn the fuel on it floods immediately. I can keep it running by turning the fuel on for a second to fill the bowl as long as I turn it back off quickly. Just put a second carb kit in and same symptoms. I'm stumped. I feel like I'm either missing something simple or the carb itself is no good for some reason. Maybe I lost or damaged a small part during the initial rebuild process and it's something that's not in a new kit? I checked the floats and they seem fine. I've done carbs on these motors a number of times with good success. Should I just buy a whole new carb?

Old 07-30-2017, 02:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like you're missing something too. Either the float arm is adjusted wrong,float arm and pin possibly worn out. They don't come in the kits and are often over looked when rebuilding this carb.If the float arm is wobbly,probably time for a new one. Here's a couple videos that may help.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:02 PM
Trailblazer

Float arm is adjusted correctly. There is movement of the arm on the pin. I wouldn't think that would cause such a flooding issue though. I did not remove the needle jet when I rebuilt. I have a metal washer in the needle seat but there is no gasket.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Some came with metal washers,but oem fiber is the best. Something still in the carb if it was doing ok before you tore into it. Also do the floats have the plastic stop caps on the slides or are they missing? Are they positioned right and not upside down if removed?

Old 07-30-2017, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Some came with metal washers,but oem fiber is the best. Something still in the carb if it was doing ok before you tore into it.
I know. That's why I'm tempted to grab a used carb off eBay rather than guess at part after part. Should be able to use all the parts that came with my rebuild kit to get a used one up and going.

Old 07-30-2017, 03:22 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Actually a very simple carb to rebuild.Just retrace your steps. See if the pdf fuel section from the manual helps any.https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...U2gGlaHJWSIlbA

Old 07-30-2017, 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

Persistence pays off. Thanks to OPT for giving me the encouragement to fight through the frustration. I reviewed the document as you suggested. Then decided to check the vent line routing because everything INSIDE the carb seemed ok. Turns out I had all 3 lines coming from the carb connected to the 3 ends of the tee. Quick fix and the motor is purring like a kitten again without a hint of flooding. They way I had them must have been pressuring the fuel because it was flooding so quick I don't think it would flood that quick with NO needle valve installed.

I own two of these 250's and have been to hell and back with them. Lots of angry moments turning wrenches but they sure are fun when they are up and running.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:48 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Glad you solved it..These tees and check valves caused more problems than what they were worth. When one came in for a carb job I threw them away,ran separate vent lines and zip tied them to the throttle or choke cable,terminated the ends under the back of the tank.The float bowl drain/over flow tube I made go past the bash plate to keep gas off the engine.

Attached Thumbnails Polaris 250 flooding-carb-1.jpg  
Old 05-22-2023, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey there man just picked up a 2005 Polaris Trailblazer and it seems to be having the issue with the quick flooding is there any way I could get a quick breakdown of the tee elimination and rerouting of the lines thanks much appreciate it