ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community

ATVConnection.com ATV Enthusiast Community (https://atvconnection.com/forums/)
-   Polaris (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/)
-   -   Polaris 325 electrical help! (https://atvconnection.com/forums/polaris/372952-polaris-325-electrical-help.html)

bookman35 07-30-2017 07:12 PM

Polaris 325 electrical help!

Hello everyone, I have a polaris Trail Boss 325 I purchased on craigs list and it did not come with a title so I'm not sure where to look to find out what year it is? There is a small black box that has wires connected to it under the headlight in front of the machine and when I start it up, the wires start to burn and smoke?? did anyone ever have the same issues? I'm not sure what the box and wires are for either? Thanks for your help...:)

bookman35 07-30-2017 07:37 PM

Polaris trail boss 325

3 Attachment(s)
Here is the box with the wires connected that are burning when engine starts?

old polaris tech 07-31-2017 09:02 AM

Module with the red and yellow wires is the regulator/rectifier.The other modules are the reverse limiter and thermal sensor module.The 325 was only made from 2000-2002 and the wiring and other parts were the same. Problem could be the regulator has shorted out itself or the stator may be causing the problems. Get the 5 buck manual and go through the charging system trouble shooting guide and resistance tests on the stator. It can help in many more repairs and service. The 17 digit vin# is etched behind the left front a-arm. Tenth digit is the year model. Here's a 2001 that will work.If you find out what year model you can get the correct model manual if you wish..http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/index.html
2001 Polaris Trail Boss 325 Service Manual PDF Download

bookman35 07-31-2017 11:43 PM

Thanks!!

Ok, thank you kind sir for the helpful information!! I went to the polaris dealer and the box that would have to be replaced was like around 325 bucks, so he suggested just disconnect that red wire that is burning and try that. So far so good, no more smoking up the wires...:) Hopefully that will do the trick, because that rediculess price for a small box was crazy....lol:nod:

old polaris tech 08-01-2017 12:01 AM

Yes if it's the thermal module or thermistor switch as it's formally called and not the regulator that's getting hot I would leave it unplugged. It senses input from the thermistor sensor on the oil cooler to kick the fan on.Problem is on the 325 and 330 machines the fan doesn't kick on until the oil temperature reaches 260 degrees and the fan cuts off at 240 degrees. Hardly anyone ever had a fan kick on these oil cooled machines unless they were super hot. The fan isn't really needed because of the oil cooler,a lot of oil cooled machines don't even have fans,but if you wanted to you could toggle the fan motor itself and if using it under a load or at low speeds for an extended period you could kick the fan on every now and then.

bookman35 08-02-2017 01:21 PM

Thanks again for the info! I do have a fan it looks like a radiator type fan and I think it still kicks on. I don't use the machine much, just in yard with cart to load up my fireplace wood and bring it to porch, so it's not getting to hot riding all over...lol..

old polaris tech 08-02-2017 03:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fan still comes on and you pulled the power wire from the thermister switch? It's the module on the far right(#21),regulator is to its left(20) and the reverse limiter module is to the far left(15). Just making sure it wasn't the regulator that's the problem. Slight differences between the 2000-2002 but the orange/black wire from the module completes the circuit for the fan motor to kick on.

bookman35 08-02-2017 04:28 PM

It was a wire in picture 21 I believe that little box in the bottom right hand side of the illustration..left side wire in that box, I believe the Polaris dealer said it was the reverse wire so when putting it in reverse it goes full strength not chugging slowly..

old polaris tech 08-03-2017 07:42 AM

Ah.. If it was the reverse limiter I would have defeated that module a long time ago myself.. I hated all of them whether they were working or not.. :)

bookman35 08-03-2017 06:03 PM

I didn't even know there was a little yellow button to hit when going in reverse to slow it down..lol..so no loss here..ha!!