Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 sportsman 700 efi questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Why do you have the t-bap disconnected? If the t-bap has the otb repair harness I wouldn't think it would be the problem. Check the pig tail that ties into the tps all the way back until it goes into the main harness loom. May have to ***** each wire to check continuity from the connector to the wiring that's exposed. If this checks out,problem could either be the tps or could be a little further in the wiring loom. Same for the tbap. I've installed kits only to have them still act up. Problem was further in the main harness wiring than what was supplied on the repair kits.

Last edited by old polaris tech; 08-10-2017 at 02:43 PM. Reason: wiring harness..
Old 08-10-2017, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to disconnect tbap in order to remove the throttle body to do the base voltage setting and to remove throttle cable cover. So once tps was set to .528 I then plugged tbap back in and the voltage jumped way up over .800, d screw was not anywhere near touching throttle arm. So I unplugged it and it went back down to .528 so I adjusted d screw at .710 and it idled where it should but when I plugged tbap back in while running, rpms jumped up over 1250-1300 area. When I shut machine off I checked with meter again and it was over .900 so I unplugged it and it dropped back down to .710

Old 08-10-2017, 02:46 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I'm always updating.. check above.

Old 08-10-2017, 02:51 PM
Pro Rider

I was wrong, it was previously replaced with a polaris harness, looks like new but I did check all the wires and also pulled on each wire at the plug

Old 08-10-2017, 02:57 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Wouldn't trust a Polaris harness repair kit for anything.. You can still try to check continuity on the wires and connector pins but no guarantee that a pin may have pulled back as some have done and frustrate the devil out of you. Again I've had to dig into the main harness on several machines when repair kits didn't solve the problem and have found problems to be in there also. Like the manuals say 85% of the time efi is wiring related,not so much the sensors themselves unless damaged by tampering. On that I have had to replace tps sensors and on some models complete throttle bodies.

Old 08-10-2017, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

What kind of readings should I get when I probe the wires in both harnesses,

Old 08-10-2017, 03:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look starting at 1:50 on this video. Don't let your fingers touch the probes.

Old 08-10-2017, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

Ok I will text the wires after work tonight. I just don't understand why it idles like it should when I have tbap unplugged and high rpms when plugged in, along with the jump in vdc. I would think if it was faulty it wouldn't change anything or throw a code

Old 08-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Pro Rider

Well I tested all the wires on both sensor harnesses and also the plug pins on the that harness. and they all checked out good, not sure what to do next

Old 08-10-2017, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Well I threw in the towel for the night!! This is what I found.
Both tps and tbap harness wires were tested and checked out good.
Used dielectric grease on both sensors, and started over from scratch on adjusting tps sensor.
I get tps to .528 and then I can sit there & watch the meter, it will stay on .528 for 20 seconds then it will start really slowly increasing on its own, torx screw is as tight as I can get it so it's not moving. So then I started messing with it, just moving throttle body around and sometimes it would jump around from whatever the meter was reading for vdc.
I completely removed the tps sensor and inspected all the wires and tested harness. Then I turned the key to off and then back on and once again the vdxreading changed so I tried that 3 more times and everytime it gave me a different reading than the last time, I'm not talking .001 change, more like .010-.020

. So that's when I threw in the towel, I'm stumped. I know that the way I'm testing the tps works because I literally just did a tps sensor replacement on my 800 three weeks ago due to broken wires right at the sensor and it ran great.

I put out a couple calls to see if anyone I know has a friend that works at one of the dealerships, maybe do a favor and squeeze me in just to hook up to digital wrench. It was worth a try lol. Let me know if there is anything else I can test meanwhile. Oh and I did try wiggling the wires around quite a bit to see if tps reading jumped but it didn't