Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 sportsman 700 efi questions

Old 08-11-2017, 08:11 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

If you set the tps to base .528 vdc and the voltage starts increasing on its own,sounds like the internal tps spring is causing the problem.It could be lifting the throttle body butterfly on its own,getting way out of adjustment. Repairing broken sensor wires is one thing,but when you move a tps around you take a chance on damaging this spring. Hope that's not the problem,but I've had to replace several sensors because of this.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ya I'm pointing towards the tps, another $200 sensor. It kills me that there is no aftermarket sensors. Newer models have a different sensor and they are only $20 new on eBay lol. Well no dice run tomorrow then lol. Called 3 dealers around me and nobody has one.
OPT do you have any input on the tbap situation? I don't understand that. Even if tps is bad, why would my meter change so much when I plug tbap in.? It can be set at .710 then I plug in tbap and it jumps to 1.350+++ on the meter. Then I unplug it again and meter goes down

Old 08-11-2017, 08:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

That still could be because of a wiring short,the crappy Polaris repair kit or the tbap itself which doesn't happen very often. You're down to Digital Wrench and I can't see any way around it. Also I've pulled my hair out when people brought machines in who have replaced their own harness repair kits and hooked the wires up wrong..

Last edited by old polaris tech; 08-11-2017 at 08:40 AM. Reason: Harness repair kit..
Old 08-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Pro Rider

I just told the head mechanic at the dealer what my issues were and told him I need to hook it up to digital wrench. He asked some questions and he said I would only pull voltage like you already have, if it won't hold steady then tps would be the first to replace. They are the most reputable dealer we have around here. 40 min drive, I have one 5 min away but they don't know chit and have terrible reputation

Old 08-11-2017, 08:45 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Mechanic sounds like he knows his business. Worth the extra drive sounds like.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:49 AM
Pro Rider

I agree, but that leads me back to tbap issue. He said not to bother with digital wrench and replace tps.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:01 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

DON'T replace another tps sensor unless you have the correct harness!!! A meter alone is not the way to go..This may be what got you partly in trouble in the first place. There are tester/adjuster harnesses now that are cheap and you don't have to have the expensive Polaris test harness. Will work on the 700 and 800.POLARIS RZR TPS Adjustment Tool (3 pin triangle)

Old 08-11-2017, 09:16 AM
Pro Rider

Ok lol. Can I ask why you say that? Using a multimeter didn't damage anything, when I adjust the base to .528 I have the throttle cable removed and d screw backed out. Thats the only way I could see damaging it is if I didn't release tension on d screw and put more tension on tps spring. Unless I'm missing something, I'd like to hear though. I was planning on buying that harness tool, wife limits my garage expenses lol. Just sunk $500 into my 800.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:33 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by lph008
Ok lol. Can I ask why you say that? Using a multimeter didn't damage anything
If this was a new complete throttle body assembly as you say the tps was already preset from the factory.Even if it wasn't and you installed a tps,the springs don't really damage themselves unless the tps is moved too far. Some of the internet short cuts suck as the ones I've seen on setting the tps,prying out water pump seals without any thought to damaging pump shafts get under my skin... There are always people trying to convince others on ways to bypass the correct way of repairing/adjusting things. Rants over,just get the cheap harness adapter and follow it's instructions... I won't tell your wife..

Old 08-11-2017, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

Ok. Well I'll do that. So I just cut the harness off the tbap, they had a replacement on there that was really long, about 12 inches longer than needed so I'm going to shorten it up and rewire it. Rather habe less wiring to be prone to break and wear. I'm wondering if they wired it wrong as well.
I need to know what color wire goes to what number in the plug harness. Main harness has Orange. Purple. Pink and pink/white
Tbap harness has all white wires marked 1,2,3,4
P.S. yes i didn't look to see what color was wired to what number before I cut it....shaking my head, dumb mistake

Search this Thread