Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2005 sportsman 700 efi questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 10:56 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Looking at top of the T-bap connector(has the clip to snap to the sensor) from left to right: Pink,Orange,Pink/White,Violet. At least shows this according to the wiring schematic. Some Polaris repair kits had one different colored wire, but had a tag to show which wire it went to. Can't remember if it was just on the 500 or included the 700/800 models also.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's how I just wired it, didn't change anything with the tbap reading doubled when plugged in. I even tried a tbap sensor that i had replaced on my 800, it would show the right readings but it flashed a code. That s why I replaced it with the new harness on the 800 so I know it at least read right on the meter. So I think I have a different issue with this tbap other than needing a new tps

Old 08-18-2017, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Ok so I received my tps calibration harness, the idle adjustment tool and new tps sensor today.
. Let me start my saying the KMS Performance D-socket tool sucks. Too short and it's not even a socket just a solid piece of steel with the end welded on. Harness is plug and play.
. Started by removing throttle cable and backed off idle screw. Set new sensor to .528 then hooked throttle back up. Adjusted idle screw to .710 and installed throttle body. My idle is high at 1700+ rpms. And it is still erratic jumping from 1700 down to 1400-1500 then back up. Still running rich as well, exhaust is still burning my eyes and stinks but no white or black smoke.
So I have new tps, the tbap harness looks new (previous owner replaced with Polaris harness) where do I go from here? Local dealer said that digital wrench won't do me any good, he said it will just show voltage which I'm already doing myself. He said new tps sensor so now I just threw $300 at it and no change

Old 08-18-2017, 06:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Don't throw any more money at at and find a better dealer than the one you talked to.. Digital Wrench goes into far more detail than what this guy said. Erratic idle,running rich may or may not be sensor or wiring related but can also be the ecu itself which Digital Wrench should be able to determine. It may need to be reflashed/reprogrammed as we had to do on a lot of 700/800 machines that were either running too lean (running hot,glowing pipes) or running too rich.

Old 08-18-2017, 06:18 AM
Pro Rider

I have one other dealer in the area that im calling today, I thought for sure you were going to say swap the Polaris with a OTB harness. I'll be doing that, just want to make sure the dealer can shed some light with digital wrench first. I'm sure they will be a few weeks out also

Old 08-18-2017, 06:39 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by lph008
I thought for sure you were going to say swap the Polaris with a OTB harness. I'll be doing that
Absolutely,over looked that.. Get the otb harness first.Again I don't know how many Polaris harness kits I installed that failed and had to do the same thing over again.If that doesn't solve it then have Digital Wrench a go at it.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:24 PM
Pro Rider

Ok well just installed the OTB tbap harness and still have the same issue. Started over from scratch once again with setting the tps base to .528 then I hooked the throttle cable backup and set idle d screw to .710 put throttle body back in and plugged tbap in. As soon as I plug tbap in, my meter goes from .710 down to .668????

so I went ahead and checked for codes, no codes. Fired it up and I'm still getting idle surge. Calling dealer tomorrow to see if they can fit me in My sooner. I have an appt in 3 weeks because that's how far out they are booked. I'm going to start a new thread to see if anyone has had this issue with the tbap changing readings when plugged in. Also after running in for a couple minutes, I shut it off and unplugged the tbap to see if the meter went back to .710 and it didn't. It reads .716 after unplugging it which it was previously set to .710 until I plugged in tbap

Old 08-22-2017, 04:16 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look at your other post on this same thing. May or may not help..