Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 Polaris 700 twin bendix/starter pics 'Help"

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Horn Hunter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Polaris 700 twin bendix/starter pics 'Help"

Hi guys
New member here. my starter has been screaming for a while and had time to tear into it. I decided to look at the bend first before pulling starter.
As you can see from the pics it is the Ducati system. I do not wish to do the expensive upgrade. I can see a missing tooth on the bendix but am unable to remove it due to the flywheel.
My question is do I just crank the nut in the center off, use and impact or does it require a puller. I was thinking if bend was out could inspect teeth on the starter before making a decision to pull. Any help is appreciated and have enjoyed the forum for years.
Thank you/.

Old 08-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Has to have a harmonic balancer puller or heavy duty steering wheel puller. You can rent these at most auto houses. An impact is a must on almost all flywheels. Be careful on the threads on the end of the crankshaft. I mushroomed one out a tad and spent a little time using a thread file to get it back in shape. If it doesn't want to pop off when you put pressure on it,best to use a propane torch around the flywheel and shaft. Usually they will pop off or will if you lightly tap the end of the puller. 700 engine used on a dune buggy in this video.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Horn Hunter

Thank you OPT. I read you often. Have the puller and impact and it has maybe moved 1/6th. I will try tapping the end of the puller and apply some heat. Here is where I am at now.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:38 AM
Horn Hunter

I keep posting replies with pics but I guess they are on waiting moderation to be approved. I have a harmonic puller . It has 3 holes and my steering wheel puller only has two. I tried heating but scared t get it to hot. Whacked the puller on the end pretty good several times. I have a 175 lb impact wrench. It is on solid and I am putting so much force I fear breaking the axle....Never seen one so stuck. Putting the nut back on to keep from mushrooming the end.
Going to pick up some heavy duty bolts from the commercial bolt store in a few hours when they open. Have it soaking now with a little pressure and key way up filled with lube. Thanks OPT I have followed your advice for years.
Any idea what the two large holes are on each side. The other 3 are fine threaded I am attached to.
Will up date.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:00 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Larger holes are used to balance the flywheel plus on some the reduced mass helps starting. This explains it better than I can.

The holes can be of two types.

1. Uniform symmetric holes as a part of design.
These help to reduce the weight of the flywheel. In a flywheel you need a certain moment of inertia. That can be achieved with less weight by having more material near the periphery. So mostly they have thick outer ring with a thin web and holes in the web.
2. Small holes drilled on the periphery which will not be symmetrical. These are holes are drilled at the time of dynamic balancing the flywheel as per need at specific location and dia/depth. The purpose is to remove the mass.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:23 AM
Horn Hunter

Thank you. Will follow up with results. Appreciate your guidance sir.

Old 08-09-2017, 09:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Get the same length flange bolts(3-3.5 inches) and thick washers on this puller. O'reilly's,Autozone,ect have free tool rentals in most stores and may have heavier duty pullers if this one doesn't work.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:24 PM
Horn Hunter

I went and picked up a good grade 8 bolts and steel washer all of the same size as suggested. Let it soak over night in spray lube. Put the original bolt back on it and attached the harmonic puller and hit it with my impact it flew off. I can not thank you enough for your time. It took 5 minutes to pull breather box and hoses to access the starter and it came right out with 10mm.
I only had one chipped tooth on the starter and one on the bendix. But it would not engage and when it did it sounded awful most times before starting. I would not think just one broke tooth would make such a racket!
Going to shop now for a starter and bendix on flea bay or amazon for a 03 polaris 700 twin.
Thanks OPT!

Old 08-11-2017, 08:43 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

The right bolts can make a big difference. Glad you got it off. I'd check DB Electric here.https://www.dbelectrical.com/starter...ris/sportsman/ or on ebay or amazon.