Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Alternatives to DOT helmets

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 11:14 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JAnderson,
If price is no object then go for the more expensive helmets that are made from carbin fiber. They are extremly light weight and offer great ventilation. Plus they will give you the needed protection. I just don't think that a bicycle helmet will withstand a crushing blow from a 400lb - 700lb quad landing on your head.

I guess all I can say is that if a lightweight helmet bothers you and makes you feel awkward then you ought to do some exercises to build your neck muscles. because if you can't stand 2lbs then your neck defenitley won't survive from having 700lbs land on it. In your case I wouldn't worry about your head as much as I would worry about your neck!!

Old 04-20-2001, 01:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TTAYLOR,

I've considered buying a carbon fiber helmet. I was psyched to find out that some manufacturers are using new lightweight materials. However, if you read up on these helmets they are not considered serious helmets and are classified as "novelty" helmets, mainly for the street bikers who want to go styling. Perhaps, they are superior to a skiier helmet (I'm not considering a bicycle helmet). Any thoughts on these, you SNELL zealots?

I wonder if more people would wear helmets if new materials such as carbon fiber were used and an effort was made to provide adequate ventilation at slower speeds.

http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/