Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

700 efi intermittent loss of power

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 11:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700 efi intermittent loss of power

I have a problem with my 2005 sportsman 700 efi. While riding, it keeps losing power like it's totally shutting down, everything on the dash shuts off then it comes back to life and runs perfect. It was having this issue when I would turn left, but it corrected itself. It then would have the battery symbol flash, get low enough on power to run like crap and start cutting in and out, then suddenly run perfect and no more battery icon. I replaced the stator and voltage regulator. Then I took it on a test ride and it ran perfectly for about 10 minutes, but the headlights would cut out momentary, then it started to cut out a little, then a lot, then die, restart, die, run for a bit... you get the idea. The gas gauge has been cutting in and out for a long time, but it always ran fine.
Also, the 4 wheel drive has been engaging in and out lately even though the switch is off.
Chasing ghosts is getting old, I just ordered a used wiring harness, but I'm not sure if it will fix it even after all the time it will take to switch it.
I looked at getting aOTB T-BAP, but it's not about losing power IN the engine, it's losing power to the WHOLE bike.

Old 09-17-2017, 12:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

You're right,doesn't sound like a tbap or tps harness kit would solve this. Sounds more like a intermittent wiring short or an ecu problem. Most common short areas on all the machines was in the main harness under the steering post as it receives the most twisting and turning. You can either tear into the wiring loom or wait on the used harness. Chances are you may find the cause as you're replacing it. If you need a manual..2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 EFI Service Manual PDF Download If the harness doesn't solve it then I'd at least let Digital Wrench have a shot at it.