Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

valve cover and water pump questions 2005 sportsman 700 twin efi

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 09:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve cover and water pump questions 2005 sportsman 700 twin efi

2005 sportsman 700 twin efi

I ordered the metal valve cover for my 05 sportsman 700 twin. Do I reuse the old "reed" parts or use the new ones that came with it? The new ones don't have a reed. Pictures blow.

And also is there a way to test water pump? I removed radiator cap but can't tell if there is good flow. Any one have a video of the coolant flowing through the radiator cap that I can compare mine too?

Old 09-19-2017, 10:04 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Use the new parts.Main reasons for problems on the 700 was the plastic engine cover itself warping and leaking oil plus the small plastic valve cover warping and leaking. You can see all that oil on the old cover. You can borrow a coolant pressure test kit from most auto houses with a refundable deposit. You can test the 13 psi cap plus test the cooling system pressure to check for any leak downs.If the pressure drops,check for leaks at the bottom of the water pump weep hole, radiator itself or head gasket. First video is on pressure testing the cap,OR as cheap as they are you can just get a new 13 psi cap.Second video is pressure testing the cooling system.

Old 09-19-2017, 10:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Use the new parts.Main reasons for problems on the 700 was the plastic engine cover itself warping and leaking oil plus the small plastic valve cover warping and leaking. You can see all that oil on the old cover. You can borrow a coolant pressure test kit from most auto houses with a refundable deposit. You can test the 13 psi cap plus test the cooling system pressure to check for any leak downs.If the pressure drops,check for leaks at the bottom of the water pump weep hole, radiator itself or head gasket. First video is on pressure testing the cap,OR as cheap as they are you can just get a new 13 psi cap.Second video is pressure testing the cooling system.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mRlDUp7-nQ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5p-G3UDi-A
Thank you for your reply, I just want to make sure I am understanding you correctly. Don't use the "reed" from the old valve cover. Use all the new parts with the new cover? Thank you again.

Old 09-19-2017, 01:38 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

No you don't use the reeds. Look at the difference on the updated cover breather valve and plate mounting hole.