Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need some help with an 01? polaris xplorer 250 4wd

Old 10-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help with an 01? polaris xplorer 250 4wd

Have an 01? polaris xplorer 250 4wd here that is a friends.

It has a couple issues rad. fan not working fan itself is ok and works just won't turn on it also was wired to run all the time but was done incorrectly and melted a wire in the connector of the start/reverse override switches. I traced the wire and it's were the fan was spliced into. I found the factory connector for the fan and tried hooking it up but nothing. Not if there's a sensor or a resistor that is bad?

The 4wd won't turn on guessing it's either the switch or solenoid. Switch seems to test fine with a DMM though.

And last but not the least the electric start isn't working starter has been replaced but nothing and the battery ground? wire is lacking a home which may go to the starter?

I'm an automotive mechanic but this is a little foreign to me. Looking for a picture where the starter ground goes.

TIA

Old 10-11-2017, 04:13 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Man, sounds like someone has butchered this machine.. The sensor was a stupid little 2 prong switch that screwed into the top engine mount. They would vibrate and break most of the time.These 2 strokes really didn't need the fan,but you can use the same wires(if they're still there) and wire the fan to a toggle switch if you so wish. All the other 250 models didn't have a fan at all. Main ground goes to an engine case bolt behind the clutch backing plate. The engine to frame ground is handled by a cable on the top engine mount where the fan temp sensor was originally mounted also.Awd is electro/mechanical. Has to have power to the strut coils plus the armature plates(that are pulled to the coil) must be in good shape along with the roller cage and bearings.This video can help a little on the mechanical part of the awd system.DON'T use grease as shown in the video,simple Demand Drive hub fluid is good enough.It's on a Scrambler but the awd is the same.
If you need a manual that can help on wiring,service and repairs,here's one for 5 bucks..2001 Polaris Xplorer 4X4 Service Manual PDF Download 2000,2001 and 2002 Xplorer 250 were basically the same,just body color changed.

Attached Thumbnails Need some help with an 01? polaris xplorer 250 4wd-cffa63e41fe13f734847050d9c511394.jpg  
Old 10-11-2017, 05:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you kindly for the reply. Yeah friend brought to someone who didn't know what they were doing resulted in the wiring issues? Also may have been butchered by the previous owners. Also it's an auto not manual if that makes difference on the batt ground? I mean ground is ground but I don't want to go melting anything else. I bet the switch is dead I will try jumping the wires. Current the ground wire is routed on the right hand side of the motor and looks like it should be there. Just wondered about it going to starter since it looked like it could of on the old starter and found pictures of polaris atvs with it going to the starter.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Look at bracket #8 at the top of the diagram.This is where the fan sensor and engine to frame ground strap goes. Ground strap is #11. Main battery ground goes to the engine case bolt and not the starter. On the 4 strokes the battery neg cable did go to the starter bolt on top of the engine.

Attached Thumbnails Need some help with an 01? polaris xplorer 250 4wd-f8b8e6c566464e09ff8fff546726e7dde8df6029.png  
Attached Images  
Old 10-11-2017, 06:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes that small ground strap is in place. Ok makes sense batt ground to starter on 4stroke must of been the pic I looked at. I'm going to tinker with it a little now I will report back with my findings.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I managed to get part of the issues resolved. The ground from the battery went the winch solenoid which was then indeed connected to engine mount. The main part of the electrical issue was the ign. switch that the key goes in the back of was falling off probably should be replaced. So the fan works with the sensor connector jumped it may even? work plugged or need a new sensor. headlight and electric start. Haven't checked the 4wd yet is there an indicator light that illuminates when it's switch on?

Old 10-12-2017, 04:37 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Replace this cheap 7 buck ignition switch first. It may solve some other problems.IGNITION KEY SWITCH FITS POLARIS 4012163 4110264 | eBay If the fan works I wouldn't buy another sensor for the fact that a lot of fans never came on unless the engine was super hot. Having the sensor on the rear engine mount didn't give an accurate engine temp reading. Again if you want to have a back up fan for this air cooled engine that really doen't need one,hook the fan up to a toggle switch. That way you can turn it on when under a load or driving slow for extended periods of time.

Old 10-21-2017, 07:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

Finally got around to testing the 4wd and low and behold it works. It does have an indicator light by the switch it is hard to see in daylight. The new ign. switch seems to have fixed everything else. Thanks for the help!

Old 10-21-2017, 08:21 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Glad you got her running ok. I liked the old Xplorer 250. Chain drive rear,shaft drive front. Simpler that a lot of other machines and only made from 2000-2002 if I remember correctly and we sold everyone we could get our hands on.

Search this Thread