Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 Trailboss 330 won't run without battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 12:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Trailboss 330 won't run without battery

Newbie here, just bought this to get my feet wet in the ATV world. Wife and I built a summer home in the Black Hills of SD and are looking at the Polaris ACE machines for next summer. But, in the meantime, I bought this little guy to play with and to serve as a utility vehicle around the property.

Guy I bought it from said it just needed a new battery, but it doesn't run with a jumper disconnected (makes no sense, why have a pull cord). Put a new battery in it and it runs perfect (while connected). I did a little looking for the issue on the Polaris forum, found an old post about a different year and it sounds like a new ECU could solve it. Also read they superseded the original, but got nowhere getting information on it. I don't mind spending the near $200 if it fixes it. So I'm hoping someone can confirm that the ECU is the issue and that I'm not the first this happened to.

Another question, since it will likely see minimal use, likely will be used pulling a cart around the yard for a couple hours from time to time. Wondering if leave the charger/maintainer hooked up to it when it's not being used, approximately how long it would run on a full charge (without lights of course)?
Appreciate the help!

Attached Thumbnails 03 Trailboss 330 won't run without battery-polaris-330.jpg  
Old 10-12-2017, 01:01 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

DON'T ever disconnect a battery while it's running. Especially on the later models with the ecm module. Older models would crank and run without a battery as the ignition was magneto triggered and the battery was just for the starter,lights,fan,etc. Newer models have to have the battery hooked up. Ecm controls so many functions.If it still runs ok,make sure it's charging 14-14.5 volts at the battery. If not another ecm is blown. Part number does change. 4010944 Polaris Module, Electronic, Control $213.71 - 2WheelPros If you don't use the atv very often,get a cheap battery maintainer at any auto supply,Walmart,etc. Plus here's a cheap manual that can help on service,repairs,etc.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2003-Po...ce-Manual.html

Attached Thumbnails 03 Trailboss 330 won't run without battery-89a6dc5d-eca3-4dca-9fec-448505f2d539_1.dcfef472f29f716aba330a7f8730f225.png   03 Trailboss 330 won't run without battery-maxresdefault.jpg  
Old 10-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there's no battery connected, all the electricity that should be charging it has to go somewhere and can blow out all the light bulbs. I think it can do other things too like fry the ECM but I'm not sure.

Old 10-12-2017, 01:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
......If it still runs ok,make sure it's charging 14-14.5 volts at the battery..............
Just went out an put my volt meter on it. Battery was reading 12.6, started it and was showing 14.1v, so it looks like I'm good. Happy!

Old 10-12-2017, 01:54 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Saved yourself over 200 bucks if that ecm had blown.. Others haven't been that lucky. I'd still get the cheap manual and read through it. Really helpful on service and any repairs needed. With most shops around $85 an hr or some even more, you can save some serious bucks on doing things yourself.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
..... I'd still get the cheap manual and read through it. Really helpful on service and any repairs needed. .........
Just ordered it offeBay used $12.95, good advice, Thanks

Old 10-12-2017, 04:36 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I keep pushing manuals because they're worth the price,can pay for themselves on your first service or repair.