Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Thinking of getting an RZR. Are there any years or models better than others?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 11:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Where are you gonna ride is the big question?? For large wide open spaces then HP is king, but if you mainly trail ride thru the woods like me then what good is 100 hp? My UTV has 36hp and tops out at 48mph and so far have never been on a trail the needed any more and yes I keep up with the 800 machines because there is no where you can go any faster than about 35-40 mph and then only for very short distances. Now if your out west in wide open spaces then go for it, just keep in mind that at the speeds you will be going if something goes wrong a lot more damage will happen at 65mph than at 35 mph!! I was an HP freak in my younger days as well but soon learned how expensive that became, after learning my life lessons and settled into something more practical, I find myself enjoying it a lot more, more play time and less repair time...good luck on your search.....

Old 10-22-2017, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
Where are you gonna ride is the big question?? For large wide open spaces then HP is king, but if you mainly trail ride thru the woods like me then what good is 100 hp? My UTV has 36hp and tops out at 48mph and so far have never been on a trail the needed any more and yes I keep up with the 800 machines because there is no where you can go any faster than about 35-40 mph and then only for very short distances. Now if your out west in wide open spaces then go for it, just keep in mind that at the speeds you will be going if something goes wrong a lot more damage will happen at 65mph than at 35 mph!! I was an HP freak in my younger days as well but soon learned how expensive that became, after learning my life lessons and settled into something more practical, I find myself enjoying it a lot more, more play time and less repair time...good luck on your search.....
One thing you are missing - torque. The huge advantage to more CC's is torque. My 30hp has been fine, but it is limited out of the box. I'd like bigger tires for more GC, but my machine will suffer. I dont care about clutch kits, they dont compensate for CC's.

The 900 rzr puts out 75HP, and does not have to work as hard to do it.

The RZR 900 50" weighs 1,150 dry, no way I would take anythjng less than the 900 (875cc.).

Old 10-23-2017, 12:09 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I get the feeling the hp is desired because he does ride someplace where you can go fast. Must live near dunes or desert. Mentioned jumping so must do some riding on a track as well. For the money, probably a 900XP will be the best bang for the buck other than the Wildcat 1000 I mentioned in an earlier post. Might be able to find a Maverick 1000 used as well. That rotax 1000cc vtwin even without a turbo makes quite a bit of torque. I have seen Maverick 1000's used under 10K like this one https://semo.craigslist.org/snw/d/20...346310746.html or this one https://stlouis.craigslist.org/snw/d...343190954.html.