Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 Sportsman 700.. NO POWER

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2017, 12:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Sportsman 700.. NO POWER

Just bought a 05 Sportsman 700 (CARBED) the other day and rode it all day no problems loaded it on the trailer got home went to start it to unload off the trailer and it had no power at all with key on or off. I bumped the head light on the handlebars with my hand and I had power again. I started it and it ran for like 5 seconds then shut off with no power again and haven't had power since then. I'm getting 12v to the yellow wires on the ignition switch & the kill switch wires all have .50v or less to them. Is there anything I can test with a voltage meter? ECM bad?

Old 10-17-2017, 12:45 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Look for any obvious shorts,bare wires.Head light pod is one of the areas that have had quite a few. Look around the harness that runs through it and the main harness below it. The headlight connector and wiring is another place that shorts have happened often because of the dips and bends. If you get that sorted out and still have problems,then yes the the other obvious cause is the ecm module. If it still happens to have the black Chinese ecm you can still have that replaced under the recall.If it's the newer silver one,this one you have to pay for. I'd check around on the price.
Amazon Amazon

Old 10-17-2017, 01:57 PM
Weekend Warrior

Already looked for broken wires and everything looks good. Someone said I should have 12v to the two red wires (one solid red & one red/white stripe) that run into the plug for the ECM and I don't have power to either. There also is two red wires (both solid red) that run from the ECM plug to the solenoid but isn't wire to the solenoid they're just cut? Neither have power to them. Nothing on the quad has power besides yellow wires that run into the ignition switch plug & the main positive wire.

Old 10-17-2017, 04:30 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

You've got two fusible links that aren't even hooked up and that's part of the power problem.Go through the wiring diagram in the manual. It'll help you on sorting out this mess.2005 Polaris Sportsman 700 Service Manual PDF Download

Old 10-20-2017, 08:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

Got it running, ran great took it riding for about an hour and come home let it sit for about 3 hours and turn it on and start it ran good as soon as I hit the brakes and the brake light came on it shut off with no power again.

Old 10-21-2017, 01:50 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

My bet is still the ecm that can do all sorts of things is the problem. They'll work one minute,quit the next. Contains all the solid state circuit breakers,controls power to the dash,fan operation, charging system,etc.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:15 AM
Weekend Warrior

Figured the issue out, I think. One of the plugs that run into the kill switch had a bad connection. If I wiggled the wires by the plug it would kill the quad & all the power completely. Cleaned it and runs good now.

Old 10-21-2017, 09:06 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

I'd cross my fingers for ya if I could.. I just got snake bit by too many ecm modules.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well I've ridden the Sportsman for about 12 hours since the last time with the no power issue and now have a new problem.. it rained pretty hard yesterday and I went to ride the sportsman and the digital dash is all screwed up. Says AWD is on when it's not, AWD doesn't even work now, display sometimes turns off then back on, half of my fuel gauge is faded away, when I put it in Park it says I'm in Reverse, tachometer works then I rev it and it drops to zero. There is no water inside the speedometer that I can see but I brought it inside to dry anyways just to make sure no water was inside and it still didn't help. Any ideas?

Old 10-24-2017, 04:55 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Rpm signal starts from the stator,to the ecm and from the ecm to the speedo. Same for the power to the dash,the ecm controls that also. It may be a connector or internal speedo problem but I still wouldn't rule out an ecm starting to go out. So many functions that this one little box controls and different sections of it can go out independent of the rest.The manual is your best best to do the pin check on the speedo harness connector. They can cause problems also and this can help narrow down the problem area.