Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

crankshaft timing gear

Old 10-17-2017, 04:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankshaft timing gear

2000 polaris 500 magnum timing chain and gear not moving when your crank the motor..i think it is crankshaft timing gear..canit be replaced motor in or does motor have to come out

Old 10-17-2017, 04:48 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Sounds like the lower cam sprocket has broken the woodruff key. Common problem for the reverse threaded slotted nut to back off and allowing this to happen. Items#15 and 16 on the break down. IF no valves are damaged when this happened possible to replace the key,sprocket and use lock tite on the reverse threaded slotted nut. Here's some pics on how to do the cam timing.https://atvconnection.com/forums/pol...ml#post3305250 Still would be best to have the manual.http://polaris-atv.brssm.com/2000-Po...ce-Manual.html

Old 10-17-2017, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for reply..i put a cam in it 2 yrs ago(got that part down) i guess the motor needs to come out and then split the case to do this repair?? how many hours are we looking at...kinda of new on polaris but i think i am a pretty good wrench and have air tools and a nice shop..just looking to estimate repair cost for guy thank you again

Old 10-17-2017, 05:08 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Recoil,flywheel,stator plate has to be pulled to get to the lower cam chain sprocket. You don't have to pull the engine. All depends if the crank shaft is ok if the woodruff key shattered. If the key slot is ok,then a new key,new lower cam sprocket should be all that's needed. Always lock tite the cranks threads for the revers threaded slotted nut. You don't have to have the slotted nut socket. A good punch can be used to tighten this nut against the cam sprocket. Then you can time the cam again. Like in the pics the mark on the lower sprocket lines up with the mark on the case,the plated link goes on the sprocket,the two other plated links go on the two dots on the cam sprocket. The pics posted earlier can help but the manual goes in to good detail on this.

Attached Thumbnails crankshaft timing gear-2011-05-21_125845_00_polaris_500_cam_timing.jpg  
Old 10-17-2017, 05:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey tech...thanks you have been a huge help

Old 04-20-2018, 05:55 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Help

[QUOTE=old polaris tech;3376237]Recoil,flywheel,stator plate has to be pulled to get to the lower cam chain sprocket. You don't have to pull the engine. All depends if the crank shaft is ok if the woodruff key shattered. If the key slot is ok,then a new key,new lower cam sprocket should be all that's needed. Always lock tite the cranks threads for the revers threaded slotted nut. You don't have to have the slotted nut socket. A good punch can be used to tighten this nut against the cam sprocket. Then you can time the cam again. Like in the pics the mark on the lower sprocket lines up with the mark on the case,the plated link goes on the sprocket,the two other plated links go on the two dots on the cam sprocket. The pics posted earlier can help but the manual goes in to good detail on this.[/QUO

Ok I have a question. I just put a new cam in and everything timed good. And today I went to start it and then it ran a little bit but the min I gave it more gas. I heard a noise and didn’t want to start almost like it didn’t have compression. So I took off side plate to see if chain and cam was moving. Well they didn’t move so I took recoil,stater off and exposed the bottom chain sprocket. And come to find out the sprocket on the bottom was busted and don’t move. What would cause this. Here is a pic.