Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 850xp torque specs

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 07:27 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 850xp torque specs

If anyone has a manual that can tell me the torque specs on a 2010 Polaris sportsman 850 it would be much appreciated, thanks!

Old 11-04-2017, 07:53 AM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!
Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts
Old 11-28-2017, 12:07 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Future reference

I've found countless 2011 sportsman 850xp service manuals for free. I suggesting going that route because they're the same exact manual.
Ive paid the $5 in hopes they would have a process of marrying the engine and trans together (2009 & 2010 are different)
if anyone else is stuck on this I've found that if you place the motor so it's starting to go on & use 4 engine mount bolts (without the nuts obv) (2 on one side, 2 on the other) and tighten them in a cross pattern, it will pull the motor in so you can start the short bolts thatre ment to be there. NOTE make sure you align the trans & motor or else you could rip or tear your rubber grommet.

Old 11-28-2017, 01:51 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

Most manuals address the engine and transmission separately and aren't always clear cut. There are short cuts for just about everything,but you also have to be careful using threaded holes in aluminum cases to pull assemblies together. Strip out case holes and you may have a bigger problem on your hands.Anyway glad that you have it back together.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by old polaris tech
Most manuals address the engine and transmission separately and aren't always clear cut. There are short cuts for just about everything,but you also have to be careful using threaded holes in aluminum cases to pull assemblies together. Strip out case holes and you may have a bigger problem on your hands.Anyway glad that you have it back together.
Yes if it is rough when tighten the bolts then something is wrong & you don't want to ruin the threads and create more problems. Mine forunitely went in like butter. As for the manual it only says how to remove and for the install it only has notes that say to reverse the process... easier said then done. The 09 & 10 couplers are impossible to install by force. I even removed the starter gear and tried to press it on with no luck at all.

Old 11-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

I looked through the engine & transmission sections but only found the removal process in the engine section with only install notes. Also these motors don't have a thrust ring to keep the crankshaft from "walking" my buddy had that happen to him. Ended up needing new crank bearings $100 & case halves $1300! Terrible design imo

Old 11-28-2017, 02:10 PM
Polaris ATV Expert
Retired and loving it!

"reverse the process... easier said then done." Yes the manuals do say that a lot..