Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Street Legal Scrambler 500 in NC!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-1999, 01:44 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes!! It would appear that I am about to make the 500 street legal! Its like giving a Whino the keys to the Liquor cabinet! I have been talking to the DMV, Liscence Plate Ageny, Sheriffs Office & everyone else I can think of that would be involved & it appears to be 100% legitament. I have been approaching everyone as a local farmer that uses the 4 Wheeler for moving trailors from field to field or taking feed to the cattle, such as that. I didn't just right out say I want to make it legal so I can quit running from the law because I'm afraid one day they will catch me. First I have to get a notorized bill of sale from the dealership where I bought the bike (because there is no titile). Then I get liability insurance. My wife is an agent & she said Integon would insure it for $250.00/year. Then I carry the bike to the local NC DMV office to be inspected. I think it is ready as it. I have brake lights & headlights. I think using handsignals is OK for turnsignals (probably daylight use only), but I could rig up some turn signals. I probably need to add a horn. The only other thing I can think of is tires, but if I have to I'll get some on-off road tires just for inspection then trade them out when I get home. Now don't get me wrong, I'm gonna drive this thing on the highway a lot, (I can't afford to keep replacing those tires) but its the fact that I can if I want to & the police can't do anything about it. After it passes DMV Inspection I take the Inspectors report to the NC Liscence Plate agency where for $35.00 they make me a title, for $20.00 I get a plate and they charge 3% of the value of the vehicle as roadway tax. Then I have a service station perform a standard NC Inspection, they put an inspection sticker somewhere on the vehicle (probably in my pocket), then I'm good to go. I have to always wear a DOT Approved helment, which I do anyway. Next, I apply for personalized plates.....any ideas? Also, can anyone think of anything else the DMV may require for inspection? This is gonna be fun!

Jerome Coker
'99 Scrambler 500 & 400

Old 07-28-1999, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

Jerome,

That is great! I know that ITP makes a street legal tire kit for the Scramblers. I know this because I saw a street legal Scrambler 500 at my dealer about a month ago.

He did the same thing as you did as far as the title goes, registered it for farm use, and even added turn signal for it.

Still, I don't think I'll be doing it any time soon. I got into off road riding because there were too many nuts out on the highways!

------------------
Mike Chero 97 Polaris Sport 400L/ 97 Polaris Trailblazer 250ES

http://users.penn.com/~hal9000/mikeetta.html

Old 07-28-1999, 01:58 PM
Trailblazer

I found out that I do have to have turn signals, so the pjoject tonight is to take these 2 old street bikes I have apart & use all the switches & buttons to wire up the signal lights & horn. Then its to the parts house to find some cool lights that I can mount in a safe space. Its going to be tough to do all this & make it look good and still function as a good off-roader. I'm going to contact ITP about some tires next. I'll keep everyone informed.

Jerome Coker '99 Scrambler 500 & 400

Old 07-28-1999, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

Jeremy,

I would reccamend getting a pair of universal turn signals with a universal wiring setup that is designed for adding onto a dirt bike to make it street legal. This way it should work well, but most of all it's designed to handle off-road. I would get the kind that can flex/bend so if somthing hits them they won't break. I have seen some wiring kits that just runs a wire up to the bars with a rocker switch for left/right signals. Dennis Kirk carries a lot of lights and signals for dirt bikes.

Good luck, find a way to get a picture on the net when you are done!

Adam Dowden

Old 07-28-1999, 04:55 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info Adam. I've got some pictures posted on a customer's website. I'll get pictures of the 500 posted as soon as the project is complete.

Jerome Coker

Old 07-28-1999, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

Jeremy,
I'm trying to remember where it was, but i've seen a rear turn signal indicator that is about the same size as the rear brake lite, except it has two seperate bulbs in it, and "arrows" molded in the lense that point which way to go... Might be cool to mount it right under the brake lite... But, like I say, I can't remember where it was that I saw it at...
Good luck with it!!

Old 07-28-1999, 10:27 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, this is awesome, but I don't understand something. If it is legal to drive on the highway, (with all the requirements you listed) then why hasn't anyone all ready done this? I think it would be awesome to have one set up as a street quad or a on/off road quad like an enduro bike. We ride on the highway all the time to get from one place to another. It would be really cool if it was legal! E-mail me JEROME so I can get your e-mail address to keep up with the details! Good luck.

WillieB - '99 Scrambler 500

ke4iaj@gate.net

Old 07-29-1999, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer

Willie,
I think the reason that most people have not already done it is because it is cost prohibitive. I had inquired about doing this at my dealer years ago with my Yamaha. He said that yes it could be done but would cost about $750 in mods and fees, most of which would be in the tires. I think it would be cool but would only do it under certain conditions. For me those conditions would be - being single (money is less of a factor when it doesn't effect other people - like wife and kids), and if it was a Yamaha Banshee. Reason being is that after getting it on the road, you would not want to be known as the guy who converted his quad for street use and is always getting passed by everyone. A Banshee would help keep most drivers behind you!

------------------
Scott Colson 98 Scrambler 500 91 Yamaha Moto 4 250

Old 07-29-1999, 09:24 AM
Trailblazer

Scott, You're about right on the cost, I figured $750 to begin with, then another $250 per year on the insurance. If I buy another set of rims for the street tires, add another $150-$200. Its not a cheap venture, but one that I think will be well worth it. Especially on the resale end if I ever decide to get rid of it. I'll keep everyone posted.
I still need personalized plate ideas....

Jerome Coker

'99 Scrambler 500 & 400

Old 08-02-1999, 10:05 PM
Trailblazer

Jerome keep me posted I too want to do the same. It may be dirty but the only other way to licence it is to turn it into an enclosed auto type with sides then you need to pass crash tests et. You know!!! Never happen.

I am real close to local farmer who does this but it sounds as though you BEST be farmin when stopped. Checking fields et. I would suppose you should own some property next or real close to the road your traveling.

We have so much private land here its impossible to start from your home legally.

I wish they would do it like sleds and that allowes you road travel to and from your home to a main trail system. Keep us posted. Thanx from tomtcat in NW WI.

Quick Reply: Street Legal Scrambler 500 in NC!!